“World’s 100 Rarest Species” Listed – What do you think?

bronxzoofrank

Hi All,
A unique list of species facing imminent extinction was released by the Zoological Society of London at the recent (September, 2012) World Conservation Congress in Jeju, South Korea. Included were a number of reptiles, amphibians and a tarantula. As a former member of several IUCN Species Survival Commissions, I was eager to learn the current thinking on the world’s most threatened creatures. I’ll summarize below…any opinions you may have concerning “passed over” species would be most appreciated (please post below).
I’ve worked with several animals given the dubious honor of “World’s Rarest”, including the Batagur Turtle and Jamaican Iguana, and was heartened to see that zoos and private individuals are still contributing mightily to their protection. However, many of listed species are poorly-studied, and draw few supporters. Unfortunately, two such creatures that I’ve cared for in the past – the Chittenango Ovate Amber Snail and the Tanzanian Spray Toad – are now extinct in the wild. Read article here Reptiles, Amphibians, Tarantulas among ?World?s 100 Rarest Species? That Reptile Blog.
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
Face Book Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

Ghostoftangerine17

ヒョウモントカゲモドキ
Really hoping that people can help save these species which our actions are, in many cases, the reason they're going extinct.

The newt pictured in that article is absolutely beautiful!

bronxzoofrank

Really hoping that people can help save these species which our actions are, in many cases, the reason they're going extinct.

The newt pictured in that article is absolutely beautiful!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and interest. I've just learned that several hundred spray toads will be sent to Tanzania; there is renewed interest in a release program. They breed well in captivity, so perhaps they will be able to return to their tiny natural habitat. The snails that I worked with will likely remain in captivity only, as they do not draw much support and it would be nearly impossible to eliminate an exotic snail that has displaced them.

The Luristan newt you mentioned is spectacular! They are breeding fairly well, but prospects for the wild population are not good.

I see you are in Tokyo...Japan has drawn me since childhood, due t my Mom's interest and the prevalence of people interested in insects and small, odd creatures. I eventually made my way there, did some cooperative programs with several aquariums, and may return to help a friend with Giant Salamander field research. I was amazed by the aquariums and insect collections...i.e. at the Tama Zoo, and by the interest, and wonderful behavior shown by visitors (Bronx Zoo visitors are better behaved these days than in years past, but still some problems...). I hope to write some related articles soon...please let me know any zoo/aquarium impressions you may have, Best regards, Frank

Visit our friends