12 day old, still not eating

LCReptiles

I've tried mealworms, small superworms, baby dubia. Haven't been able to get it to touch a thing. Her sister is eating everything in the bowl at this point. I am getting some pinhead crix tomorrow (ugh) but if she doesn't even attempt those I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

OnlineGeckos

Gut a small mealworm so the gut spills out a bit, and gently hold it close to the hatchling. Some hatchlings require hand feeding to start off. Once they taste the guts sometimes that'll trigger their instinct to chomp it down.

GreatGeckos

I agree with online geckos . I pinch the head of a mealworm and rub the guts to the Leo's nose and they will start to lick their face, usually they bite down on it . Sometimes you have to wiggle the worm into there mouth and they will eat it. Usually after they eat a couple worms they will eat on their own

LCReptiles

She has had the mealworms in her mouth before. I've used tongs and had them move in front of her and she'd bite down on it. As soon as I let it go, she spits it out.

B&B Geckos

You can also try assist feeding by placing the gecko in your hand, palm up, so that its head sticks out a bit, below your thumb. Expect it to wiggle, hold it firmly, but gently. Take a small worm using forceps and rub the tail end from the corner of its mouth to the front. 90% of geckos will instinctively open their mouth to either threaten or bite when held like this. Once they bite it, I loosen my grip slightly. Feed one mealworm the first time, and 2-3 thereafter each night until it eats on its own.

It may take 3-4 min, so be patient. If it doesn't work the first time, try again the next day. Best of luck.

Last edited:

LCReptiles

Well, after trying the above suggestions last night I went to bed quite happy. I would squeeze the guts out of the worm and after touching her nose she would open her mouth and let me put it in. Then after holding it a bit she'd eventually swallow it. Woke up this morning and she had regurgitated all 3 back up. It isn't looking so good. She is sleeping all day and getting more lethargic. I don't want to keep adding to her stress by holding trying to force her to eat. She obviously either has an issue keeping the food down or doesn't want to for some reason.

B&B Geckos

Sorry to hear... don't give up though. Try one worm only for its first meal, then add more gradually. Their stomach needs to adapt. In this case some stress might save its life.

Last edited:

OnlineGeckos

Also pick the freshly molted mealworms, the white ones. They are much easier to digest with less chitin. I would definitely do one as their first meals, this will get their body used to digesting the food without getting over stuffed.

LCReptiles

Ok. 1 freshly molted mealie down the hatch. She is catching on to the feeding process at least. I rub the worm across the side of her mouth she opens right up... but if I don't stick it like 75% into her mouth she'll shake her head and toss it right back out! LOL. Stubborn little bugger. We will see if she keeps this down.

Visit our friends