4 month Leo Gecko handling/feeding

mikedf13

Hi all.

I am a first time Leo owner. I've had him/her for about a week and a half now. I do have some questions when it comes to its care.

My little gecko will not eat out of its bowl. I have a fair amount of mealies in there at the moment as well as a few dubia's. In the last few days I have tried tonging a mealworm and bringing it over to drop in the bowl so my gecko would see the other worms in the bowl. Henry Rose would start stalking the worms on the tong but would eventually lose interest when he/she could not get it. I understand some geckos may have to be tong fed/hand fed. I'd like to get him/her to eat from the bowl. Would just leaving them there work and if he/she gets hungry, will find the bowl to eat from? I am wondering if a glass bowl would help her see the worms better so it garner his/her attention.

Question about handling...when i do get him (or her) out of the tank, she will crawl up my arms, on to my shoulders and even on to the back of my neck (seems to be his/her favorite spot). I do, for the most part, have to pick her up from the tank. Normally he/she will either ignore me or move away. I am going to stop doing that (taking her out of the tank) and let him/her dictate the pace as I may be stressing him/her out by doing so - ill still do the hand trick and see what happens. I guess this was more of a statement than a question, but just confirming I should slow down.

Thanks - here's some pics for attention

Attachments

• 20210805_160404.jpg
    20210805_160404.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210731_132743.jpg
    20210731_132743.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Nice chunky looking gecko. I think eventually she will find her food. They can go for longer than you'd think without eating, so let her find them. A glass bowl doesn't hurt. You could also try crickets if you can stand to do that because they move around more. Just go with your gut as far as how to handle and what system to use.

Aliza

mikedf13

Thanks.....she also hunts fine when they are loose if she fes like hunting. I'll let her find the bowm

Visit our friends