9 month old Crested Gecko, Housing?

TripleB

I got my first pet reptile (at age 54), a crested gecko, at a Repticon yesterday.

He was born on September 26, 2020, and is about 4.5" including tail.

I've currently got him in a 12"x8"x8" Herp Haven...brought him home in it and have him in it while I rearrange a Zilla 12"x12"x15" terrarium I have.

The Herp Haven has a small half coconut hide, an 8" reptile plant, paper towel substrate, and a ledge with food and water.

The 12"x12"x15" terrarium has a small half log, small coconut hide, 11 inch reptile plant, 8 inch reptile plant, vines and temp/humid gage on one side, food/water on the other, bamboo bar with coconut hide hanging down, paper towel substrate, a few small smooth rocks on floor.

I've received a couple pieces of advice on where I should be housing him.

Some have said the 12x12x15 terrarium is too large for him and to leave him in the small Herp Haven for a few months. Some have said to leave him in the Herp Haven for a month to check his health/poop/eating and then move him to the larger terrarium.

Since he's 9 months old some have said go ahead and put him in the 12x12x15 terrarium and he'll be fine. Some have said put him in there but put food and water in two places so he can easily find it.

So, I'd love to hear what you think!

Thanks you!!!

TripleB

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it depends on the gecko. When I got my first crestie ( who is now 15 years old!) he was only a month old and, not knowing any better, I put him into a 12x12x18. He did fine. By contrast, the year that I bred crested geckos I started the hatchlings in 6qt shoebox sized tubs. Newly hatched cresties are about 2" long. At 4.5", I would think your crestie would do well in the 12x12x15. Since you have him currently in the smaller enclosure, it certainly wouldn't hurt to keep him for a little while in the smaller one to get a baseline of his behavior and poop and then to move him into the bigger one. Ultimately, when he reaches adult size, I think an 18x18x18 or 18x18x24 would be best.

Aliza

Visit our friends