A few questions.

M

Mike D

Hey, since I'm a member of a gecko forum, I might as well ask me gecko questions!

I love cresteds. I've been reading about their care and it seems pretty simple. Meal Replacement powders (can't actually remember what they're called) are a great idea. They don't require any additional heat, right? 74*-87* is optimum, correct? What about humidity? I'm going to guess 50%, but I don't really have much to base that on.

Here's the biggest question. What size cage would be a good size to hold one or two cresteds (probably both female, since I don't want to breed and don't want the males fighting) for their whole lives? I understand they needs stuff to climb on to avoid the limp tail issue. How much water to they like?

Their um...waste can't be as obvious as a boa's, considering their size. What's the easiest way of finding it? It seems like it'd be at least a little challenging, since I can't imagine there'd be a whole lot to stink up the cage. Then you have their climbing decor they can hide it in...you get the idea.

Words from the wise, anybody? I'm not looking for a link to a care guide, I've read a lot of them, but none really answer my questions. I want to know what's best, not what a baby could live in, or every single caging option out there.

By the way, anyone have a favorite company for aboreal caging?

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
Mike D said:
Hey, since I'm a member of a gecko forum, I might as well ask me gecko questions!

I love cresteds. I've been reading about their care and it seems pretty simple. Meal Replacement powders (can't actually remember what they're called) are a great idea. They don't require any additional heat, right? 74*-87* is optimum, correct? What about humidity? I'm going to guess 50%, but I don't really have much to base that on.
Yes, Room temp is fine. I have a night drop of 67, day temp of 82, with a hot spot about 86-87. Humidity is between 50-75. The meal replacement powders are GREAT, although some geckos give a little trouble when first switching them over to it.
Mike D said:
Here's the biggest question. What size cage would be a good size to hold one or two cresteds (probably both female, since I don't want to breed and don't want the males fighting) for their whole lives? I understand they needs stuff to climb on to avoid the limp tail issue. How much water to they like?
I think a 20 gal would be minimum, and obviously the more you give them the happier they are (as long as they can find the food). I misty them them daily and don't leave any water in the cage.

Mike D said:
Their um...waste can't be as obvious as a boa's, considering their size. What's the easiest way of finding it? It seems like it'd be at least a little challenging, since I can't imagine there'd be a whole lot to stink up the cage. Then you have their climbing decor they can hide it in...you get the idea.
I found that I take everything out of the cage every week or so and spray it down with a hose. I found they actually like to go on top of their humid hide, so that usually takes care of most of it.

Mike D said:
Words from the wise, anybody? I'm not looking for a link to a care guide, I've read a lot of them, but none really answer my questions. I want to know what's best, not what a baby could live in, or every single caging option out there.

By the way, anyone have a favorite company for aboreal caging?
I've always just used my own glass cages or bins, so no help there. Sorry

Visit our friends