A SIM quick fix.

Neill

Gecko Elements
Well i had another egg denting on the SIM grid. So i did a very simple quick fix. Take the grate out and place egg on median. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the SIM. Egg popped right back to full. Reason i say QUICK FIX is i know the guys will have it up and working AWESOME with the grate! Hope this saves a few eggs in the mean time.

PS remember this worked for ME it may not work for everyone. So don't think its a 100% fix.

robin

what incubation medium are you using?

it seems like with the right medium the sim may work fantastic as one large deli cup kinda thing, until the issues are worked out.

Neill

Gecko Elements
Hatch rite which i ended up soaking then letting all the water run out by tipping it then putting eggs on grate.

paulnj

I just pulled 3 sims from hovas where they were not fogging up and put them into a LLL MR148 and VOILA.... RAIN FOREST after 2 hours. There was my quick fix :p

I wonder if the turbo fan hova works with the SIM, because the temps in my hova are 38 degrees different from element to substrate when heating and air temps are actually 1-3 degrees lower than substrate most times I check.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I just pulled 3 sims from hovas where they were not fogging up and put them into a LLL MR148 and VOILA.... RAIN FOREST after 2 hours. There was my quick fix :p

I wonder if the turbo fan hova works with the SIM, because the temps in my hova are 38 degrees different from element to substrate when heating and air temps are actually 1-3 degrees lower than substrate most times I check.

Not to hijack this threads, but my MR-148 display reads 2-3 degrees higher than the internal air temp of my SIM when placed on the rack. How's yours, Paul?

Neill

Gecko Elements
Just to let you know on air temps in my hovabator out side sim is 79-80 inside sim container is 83

paulnj

The temps are higher in the MR148 at the top than the bottom like most tall incubators also. So cooking at 88 on top gives 85(50/50 male to female in theory) at the bottom. Mine is SET at 91 :D

The lower ambient temps in the hova are the cause of the SIM not getting proper humidity....... END OF STORY.

robin

Paul, i know it can when sat on a shelf. i was wondering about when put INSIDE of an incubator and you add a little heat.

paulnj

Gas exchange and vaporization are retarded in a controlled environment when temps are lower than the medium temp and heat rises.

I will put a clutch in a reptile specific incubator at 80 in the next few week and let you know.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I am having no trouble maintaining temp and humidity at 81.4-82.4 with the SIM in the reptipro5000 and could do the same at a lower temp as well because the reptipro is set at 86 to accomplish this (I actually just raised it a degree because I have fattie eggs cooking and will probably set my leo eggs in a SIM at the bottom when I get some). I have no experience using the SIM with the hovobator if that's what we're talking about.

Aliza

Gregg M

Registered Member
Paul, i know it can when sat on a shelf. i was wondering about when put INSIDE of an incubator and you add a little heat.

Not sure what the difference would be exactly... There is no problem at female temps in an incubator...

I dont know why this needs to be stressed again Robin...
The HOVABATOR is where the SIM is having issues... Side and bottom heated incubators is where the SIM preforms its best...

I am doing some tests as I type to help with the Hova/SIM issue... Should not be too hard being that it is the only place the SIM is not functioning as well as it should...

robin

Not sure what the difference would be exactly... There is no problem at female temps in an incubator...

I dont know why this needs to be stressed again Robin...
The HOVABATOR is where the SIM is having issues... Side and bottom heated incubators is where the SIM preforms its best...

I am doing some tests as I type to help with the Hova/SIM issue... Should not be too hard being that it is the only place the SIM is not functioning as well as it should...

ok gregg. i think we get it yet again. i was simply asking question as others in this thread have. totally not trying to aggravate you or step on your toes or anyone elses and you chose to pick me out and address me personally again, still in a cocky way. i am not attacking you gregg. i am trying to figure out why this product is having the troubles it has been and possibly trying to help and maybe asking some questions that others may be wanting to ask but are afraid of because of the possibility of getting talked down to or feeling they may get attacked if they do so. that is all.
i am not the bad guy here gregg nor am i trying to be.

hopefully we can get some good dialog going on about some of the issues and such.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm honestly not sure what we're asking about here anymore. Are we asking about whether or not the SIM can incubate eggs in the low 80's in any incubator? Are we asking about whether it can incubate eggs at that temperature in a hovobator? Or is there another question? I've totally lost track.

Aliza

Gregg M

Registered Member
Aliza,
I am not sure either... LOL

These questions have already been asked and answered... but I will answer them again...

The SIM works well in side, back, and bottom heated incubator... In these style incubators the SIM will work at temps as low as mid to high 70's... It works equally as well out of an incubator...

Again, the issue at hand is that the SIM is not working well in a Hovabator, although there have been people using the combo who have in fact, hatched eggs... It will take a bit of looking into but John, myself, and some people USING the SIM in a hova will be working to find a fix without having to change the overall design of the SIM container...

Last edited:

Visit our friends