Advice?

Quiet_kid18

Hello, I have had a female leopard gecko for about a month. I got her as a rehome and for the time she has been with me she has been calm and comfortable but has not eaten other than one Dubai roach I tried to feed her when I first got her. She drinks water and is active but never eats out of her bowl or when I try to hand feed her. Just looking for some advice on what to do to get her to eat. Any thing would help. Also she sees the food moving but she just pokes it than walks away

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some geckos who are ovulating don't eat much at that time, though it's getting late in the season for that. Here are some possible reasons:
--the cage is too hot (I can't imagine it could be too cold unless you're in the southern hemisphere). Check you temperatures on the ground and make sure you're not using belly heat as well as overhead heat
--the gecko (before you got her) had not been supplemented with calcium and vitamin D3 and is suffering f rom MBD (metabolic bone disease) in which case her jaw is soft and it's hard for her to eat. Hopefully you're supplementing her now. If she is walking bow legged, that's a sign of MBD (I'm not saying this is what she has, just that this could be a possible cause based on the very little info I have)
--the gecko is impacted from her previous placement.

I'm including links to 2 articles I wrote about feeding geckos that don't eat. If her tail is getting smaller, you really may need to take her to a reptile vet. If you see none of the symptoms I've mentioned above, she just may be on an eating strike for now.

Aliza

Visit our friends