African Fat Tail

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
The Los Angeles reptile show this weekend will have some, I'm sure!

Gopherhockey03

You can get them pretty cheap actually but there WC I think I saw $20 bucks for one. Which is a problem... But maybe there could be the leopard gecko effect where 15 years from now ol Ronnie Tremper decides to get crazy with Fat tail morphs and WC Fat tails will cost $100s like WC leos do now!

Geckomaster743

Whats WC? And By the way I would do Craigslist But from the Amount of Shootings/Kidnappings/Stalkers/Murders/Drug Dealers that i could Possibly run in to, Im too young to die :(
I'll so what i can do though :D

Geckomaster743

Oh Cool!

Yeah Hopefully i may be able to take a Trip to Iran or where ever these things live to catch them wild.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Please don't buy wild caught. There is no reason with the quantity an quality available for most species. Plus WC can bring in parasites and diseases that could spread to YOUR babies. Only experienced breeders working with limited gene pools should even keep them.

Geckomaster743

Please don't buy wild caught. There is no reason with the quantity an quality available for most species. Plus WC can bring in parasites and diseases that could spread to YOUR babies. Only experienced breeders working with limited gene pools should even keep them.
Woah... I didnt even think about that.

Gopherhockey03

Ya but don't think of them as "Bad animals". I know its bad that they were taken out of their environment and brought here to live in a tiny cage but they still need a good loving home with correct husbandry. All animals were WC at one time if you do get one, just get a fecal sample make sure they are healthy wash hands in between handling each gecko. But my tortoises are WC, both had parasites and were treated in a couple weeks for it. But I love them both and wouldn't sell or give them up ever. I couldn't imagine them going to someone else and being kept on rabbit pellets and being fed iceberg lettuce and fruit which many tortoises are kept horribly that way =(. But like Leolover said I would only get them if your experienced and willing to get the fecal sample and give them the meds and monitor them and put in the extra work. Which would add vet fees and such.

Geckomaster743

Yeah i think im better off getting them from the Pets Store. Alot of them are mistreated there and they some times mix they species ( Anoles + Long Tails ). They seem to get along but what if they fight :( and they geckos there seem to be over stressed because when I look through there Enclouser you can see there is a Drawer that can be pulled out and it easily captures noise, meaning that through the 10-12 Hours the Pets Mart is open they get no sleep.

Taiga

3 Year Member
Buying WC animals is best left to the professionals to increase genetic variation in breeding stock. For the general public I recommend captive bred only, as there are tons of morphs and normals ranging from $25-$2000. Try craigslist, kingssnake.com, faunaforums classifieds, and crestedgecko.com

Gopherhockey03

Buying WC animals is best left to the professionals to increase genetic variation in breeding stock. For the general public I recommend captive bred only, as there are tons of morphs and normals ranging from $25-$2000. Try craigslist, kingssnake.com, faunaforums classifieds, and crestedgecko.com

So just cause they are wild caught they shouldn't have a good home? There is nothing we can do to stop them importing animals unless the government steps in so why not give them a good home?

Geckomaster743

No No its not that but if there Wild im sure there happy living there right now. I feel that geckos that are taken from there Homes are 100% More Stressed in a Cage knowing that they were free and able to leave. Geckos that are Captive Bred never knew that there was more and are Twice as Satisifed when they are put in a New territory but Happy with the one they already have!

Gopherhockey03

We still have zero control whether they are caught or not. I'm not promoting or supporting WC AT ALL. I'm just saying the ones AT the pet store still need good homes whether they are CB or WC. That's what I am trying to say.

Visit our friends