AFT Snow

kkigs

Why would it being a co-dominant make it snow? Snow is usually an Anery/Axanthic + Amel.

I would say that, by definition, the Oreo could be considered a type of "snow" as it appears to be a true axanthic. The Whiteouts would look to also fit that sort of description, although I'm having a hard time trying to categorize them properly. I'm sure some of you guys know a heck of a lot more about their specific makeup than I do.

Rules of inheritance are not going to be consistent from species to species, so trying to use co-dominance as a way of comparison is not necessarily an accurate place to start. My favorite place to reference this stuff is:

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCMutations.htm

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
LMAO. I find this thread hilarious. Only 1 person actually knew what I was talking about when I referenced the term snow. A snow in another species is an Albino x Axanthic/Anery. So the only Snows that can be created in the AFT world would be a Carmel Snow. Which has already been produced.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
So the only Snows that can be created in the AFT world would be a Carmel Snow. Which has already been produced.

Yes, by Steve Sykes. Here it is. Scroll down about halfway to see it.
http://www.geckosetc.com/news.html

Somehow I missed this thread. Late to the dance again. Oh well.

I'm actually more interested in what he thinks might be a striped caramel zulu. It's the first AFT on this page. Pretty awesome looking.

Last edited:

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
LMAO. I find this thread hilarious. Only 1 person actually knew what I was talking about when I referenced the term snow. A snow in another species is an Albino x Axanthic/Anery. So the only Snows that can be created in the AFT world would be a Carmel Snow. Which has already been produced.

Oh, sure, laughing at people for not knowing better. That's nice of you.
Oh, wait - that's being snobby.

At least we didn't get flamed, I guess.

kkigs

Please explain how you think that a "snow" would have to be albino? So, all of the accepted leopard gecko snows are not snows, is that your point? Kind of a silly, misleading thread if that's all you were trying to establish. I thought it might actually be a discussion about fat-tail genetics.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs

That's funny because 99% of other species, a Snow is an Anery X Axanthic. And this is the AFT section. That's why I didn't buy a Whiteout from you :)

KelliH

Must every other thread have to degenerate into an argument? I am really getting tired of seeing this happen here. I think some of us need to stop taking ourselves so seriously...

Anyhow, in my opinion, a true Snow (in reptile genetic terms anyway) is a double homozygous Anerythristic (or Axanthic) / Amelanistic (or Albino).

I don't think the "Snow" leopard gecko should have been coined a Snow because really, it isn't. But hey, it's the reptile morph naming game and anyone can play! Remember the Patternless used to be called a Leucistic, when in reality the Blizzard is the TRUE Leucistic. Or is it? See, isn't this fun? :) :)

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Must every other thread have to degenerate into an argument? I am really getting tired of seeing this happen here. I think some of us need to stop taking ourselves so seriously...

Anyhow, in my opinion, a true Snow (in reptile genetic terms anyway) is a double homozygous Anerythristic (or Axanthic) / Amelanistic (or Albino).

I don't think the "Snow" leopard gecko should have been coined a Snow because really, it isn't. But hey, it's the reptile morph naming game and anyone can play! Remember the Patternless used to be called a Leucistic, when in reality the Blizzard is the TRUE Leucistic. Or is it? See, isn't this fun? :) :)

Who, me? I'll pipe down, sure.
I just wish people wouldn't be so dismissive and flippant.

I know leos pretty well, I'm trying to learn about fatties, and I really hate mocking smackdowns. It's just thoughtless and rude.

That was why I was trying to talk about mack snows being the leo equivalent to fattie whiteouts. Am I wrong?

kkigs

Thank you Kelli. I was actually looking for a serious explanation, as the only "snows" most of us are familiar with are in the leopard gecko world. And I was trying to steer the conversation to something more substantial, as I've yet to see much in the way of genetic explanations for many of the fat-tail morphs.

You're right, anyone can come up with a name, and I really don't care about that. An animal either fits a particular genotype or it doesn't.

Visit our friends