Aggressive Leo?

JuliaF

My Leopard Gecko used to be very sweet and didn't mind being handled, but recently she has begun to grow territorial. I feed her dead bugs by hand (and live in her dish) and thought maybe that was why she now goes after my hand, but I had just fed her the day before and was adding a climbing net for her when she snapped at my hand, every time I move the screen on top of her tank she comes out of her hide and watches my hand like a hawk. She used to just ignore me when I moved the screen because I clean her tank about once a week and handle her about 3 or 4 times a week to make sure she hasn't gotten hurt or has any sores or anything so I'm not understanding why she suddenly snapped at me and continues to. It has been colder so maybe she's just grumpy, but I have her tank set to 85-88F on the side with her hide from a lamp and a heat pad set to 78-80F on the opposite side and haven't noticed any glaring temperature fluctuations. I've also noticed she's lost a little weight, but it's hard to tell since I can't lift her and weigh her, going by sight her legs look slimmer and her tail isn't as plump. About a month ago she pushed her substrate around her hide and made a cave of sorts, I've had her for about a year and half now and I've never seen her do that before, but the next day she scattered the little wall she had built so I didn't think anything of it.

The cave she built
attachment.php

The best full body picture I could get of her, not sure why it turned the way it did, but that one is shortly after she snapped at me, hence the net not being completely stuck.
attachment.php

Is she ready to breed or something? I have no plans to breed her, she is strictly a companion pet, but I would like to know if anyone knows what's going on with her. I read Leos don't get aggressive unless mishandled and I've done nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of. Thanks for any help in advance :)

Also I know they don't bite hard, I'm not afraid of being bitten, but she jumps at my hand and I don't want her to get hurt.

Attachments

• 20161117_225123.jpg
    20161117_225123.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20161227_192341.jpg
    20161227_192341.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 24

Neon Aurora

In my opinion, it's probably just her feeding response kicked into overdrive. I have one that also stares me down when I open her tub and lunges at my hands. In her case, it's definitely because she has a crazy feeding response. They tend to associate the tank/tub/whatever opening with getting fed. Why it happened so suddenly, I don't know.

Would you care for some advise on your set up? I see several things that could be improved.

Neon Aurora

Firstly, loose substrate like what you have is generally advised against, especially because what you have looks very course. Course, loose substrate presents a special risk of impaction, which can be very dangerous.

Your temps are a little off. You probably don't need a light and a UTH. Just the UTH would be fine. The warm side should be at around 90 F and the cool no hotter than 75 F.

I'm not sure what you mean by dead bugs, but feeding live, gut loaded feeders all the time would definitely be more nutritious.

Can I ask what you are measuring your temps with? Also, do you have a humid hide?

JuliaF

I've bought freeze dried grasshoppers for her, I feed those by hand, mealworms and superworms are put in her bowl, I keep a slice of carrot in the tubs with them that's dusted with Rep-Cal. I use a Zoo Med digital thermometer that has a probe for loose substrate. I've heard that sand is bad and plan on buying reptile carpet next month and I'll add a new UTH. I bought her from a local pet store and realized a few months ago how bad that was, they told me wrong information when I first got her and I've been trying to improve her tank slowly since that mess. I don't have a humid hide, but I do use a spray bottle mister about once a week.

Neon Aurora

The freeze-dried grasshoppers won't do any harm, but there is a general consensus that freeze-dried insects don't provide much nutrition. If you want to feed them, though, I can't see any harm in it.

I would definitely recommend switching to a solid substrate. The risk taken with sand is just not worth it.

If I were you, I would add a humid hide. In natural settings, these guys love spending their days hidden in humid crevices and come out by when it gets darker and cooler. It's helpful for staying hydrated and having good sheds. You can easily create one out of a tupperware or you could buy one if the looks of tupperware bothers you.

JuliaF

Alright, I'll see what I can do for a humid hide for her asap and I'll see if I can find some reptile carpet. Thanks for the advice.

Visit our friends