Albinos in the wild

Ga_herps

Southern leo breeder
I bet that albino deer probably met up with a spotlight and 22 round. Happens here all the time. I used to see several pied deer on the back side of our hunting property, but since its in a place that alot of weekend warriors frequent they ended up with the fate that I described above. The funny thing is most of them got left in the edge of the woods with no attempt to salvage the skin. As for the albino geckos I am to the point that I bet there are a few but the chances of someone being in the right place at the right time is very slim.

Gregg M

Registered Member
The fact is, there are albino animals in the wild... Some do make it to adulthood and are able to pass on the genetic defect... Yes, it is rare but it happens... Most of the albino reptiles on the market are the result of wild albinos or hets although some of the albino mutations in captivity are the result of a random gene mutation...

Ehatcher

Gregg is right. the 1981 gecko that Ron Tremper talked about on LNL was a wild caught Albino that was put into captivity at the Knoxville Zoo. Tremper now has possesion of this animal. A friend on another local board was the guy who sent the animal to RT. RT is trying see if it is a current strain of albino. Currently it has not proved rainwater or bell. There are pics of this animal...

adam&nikki

dnt forget albino fish aswell they are out there but a hardly caught ive seen albino cat fish that get big but it was also in a fishing stores tank many albinos dnt make it in the wild passd the first year sadly to say

Landen

LSReptiles
how would ron tremper have possession of a gecko that was imported in 1981? That would make it 28 yrs old. I bet that particular animal has long since been gone. Sure he's got descendents of it though.

ReptarNDukeNukem

Gecko Newbie
how would ron tremper have possession of a gecko that was imported in 1981? That would make it 28 yrs old. I bet that particular animal has long since been gone. Sure he's got descendents of it though.

Well there is an 25ish year old Leopard gecko that is still going and living great,so there is a possibility that the original can still be alive.

Landen

LSReptiles
wow, I had no idea.... I thought 20 was max. Good to know. Thanks for the correction.

Visit our friends