Alterna kingsnake?

Dimidiata

I recently recived a Grey banded kingsnake and i had a few questions about gerneral care and color(first snake to myself).
First would be if they can be sexed, she was sold to me as a 2yr old female.
then i must ask if she is the dark phase alterna morph.
third, is a 29gal tank big enough for her?
also does she require me to lower tank temps for brumation(does she need to go into brumation?)
I have been feeding her 3 hopper sized mice a month so far but i might up her to 4. Shes already 31" long and ive heard the rarley pass 40. In general shes one of the calmest snakes ive handled and she doesnt get agressive wich i found surprising since every other kingsnake,corn snake and milk snake ive handled was ill tempered. I used to care for all the class pets wich included a mexican black king,rosey boa, ball python and rosey tarantula. The king bit me or tried every time i cleaned his tank(gloves are friends.)

Dimidiata

AHHHH I FORGOT!
GEDC0755.jpg
there she is, my com didnt update me on this thread when you posted.

Jlassiter

Yep...that's a classic alterna.....Dark Blair's Phase......

No need for brumation unless you want to breed her.....
A 29gal. tank is sufficient.....

Just make sure that you use a heating pad, flexwatt tape or heat cable on one end to provide a warm spot for thermal regulation.....keep the room it is in around 72F or so (room temp)....the hot spot should be about 85F or so.........

use no lighting unless it puts off little to no heat.....lights will dry the enclosure and dehydrate the snake.......

Provide a nice, damp bowl of Sphagnum moss as well and it looks like you have great hiding places.......

Alterna like nice, tight hides.....
Feed it when it is on the cool side conserving energy.........or after it passes feces.......If it is 31" it would be considered a young adult and will want to eat at least once a week.......I'd feed her at least 2 small adult mice each feeding..........Fuzzies are too small unless you give her a dozen........

Nice Alterna btw......!

Last edited:

Dimidiata

Ok, she has a heat pad on the side with her hide, she made 3 hides under the chips lol. I did give her a bid ceramic bowl of water. My room is constant between 25f at night and around 82-85 during the day(at the hottest) My leo doesnt seem to mind and shes been content with it.(plus the fish dont seem to care either) If thats too high i can always leave a fan on. When she eats its on the cool side and then she tends to coil up at the water bowl(where i assume its coldest). I will take back her agression stats as she showed me yester day that shes not a morning person(I went to fill up her water bowl and she came flying at me). Still she calmed down. A friend of mine has had one of these girls for 3 years and her stopped growing at 3ft. So i will asume shes slowed down and is nearing end. Shes been getting 5 hoppers a month now and i will be moving her to 2 small adult mice and ending it there(thats what mine friends is eating and their the same dimensions, very healthy snake). Im just glad to have such a beauty.
GEDC0754-1.jpg
blairs alterna king snakes, only the latest in fashion (i make her look tiny lol)

Last edited:

Visit our friends