Am i feeding my gecko ok?

sydnehh

Hi!
i have read so many different opinions and just want a straight answer on this.
so i got my gecko 6 weeks ago now? When i first got her she wasnt eating, vet said completely normal, give it time. After 4 weeks she started eating and boy was she hungry! on the day she started eating she guzzled about 6 locusts and the day after another 5! then 3 every other day for the rest of that week. We then went on holiday for two weeks and got back yesterday. I told the people who were looking after her two a day, just in case they forgot and she was left a few days without some. so i dont know whether to keep doing 3/4 every other day or 2/3 a day. She is a year old and healthy and happy! The main reason i want to know is for her general health but am also looking at getting a weekly order of locusts (she seems to prefer these over crickets, i think they're easier for her to catch and taste better). and she has 2 mealworms every 3 - 7 days as a treat! Just really want to know how many in a tub i should order! Also what size, currently getting pets at home 4th hopper - locusts which i think are 30mm? is that ok

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If she's eating them and enjoying them it's OK. I don't think it's possible to say that a gecko of a certain age needs exactly a certain amount of locusts. Pick a reasonable number, say, 4, and give her that many. If she wants more, give her more. Keep track of how many she's eaten in the course of 2 weeks, divide by 14 and you'll know how many to get for 2 weeks.

Aliza

sydnehh

If she's eating them and enjoying them it's OK. I don't think it's possible to say that a gecko of a certain age needs exactly a certain amount of locusts. Pick a reasonable number, say, 4, and give her that many. If she wants more, give her more. Keep track of how many she's eaten in the course of 2 weeks, divide by 14 and you'll know how many to get for 2 weeks.

Aliza
Ok Thankyou! That’s really helpful, but what if I overfeed her?

NearMeGeckos

I've never had a leopard gecko over eat. Give them time to swallow between each bug though as they may change there mind on how much they want after they'd downed it.

Visit our friends