Amel/Albino-Deadly Combo Question

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Question for those who know, does the amel/albino morph have to be homo/visual to be deadly when combined with other morphs, or would a het-amel also be deadly?

Since I'm not sure I phrased that correctly, I'll elaborate: amel patternless is a fatal morph. Would a patternless het-amel also be fatal? What about amel het-patternless? Basically, do both genes need to be fully expressed to be fatal, or does simply having the gene (het) make the combination fatal?

I'm thinking it needs to be homo/visual, but I'd like to know for sure?

Many thanks,
Melanie

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
I have never breed Albinos to other morphs but I have talked with a very reputable breeder that has and they believe that the heterozygous form can be fatal with the patternless trait.

GeekyGecko

I'm confused by amels being a fatal morph. I'm not sure I understand how it "works." LOL. Can they be bred to other morphs or not? I mean, you have the tangerine amels or the caramel amels.. so their amel parents have been bred to other morphs, right? What about those babies, can they not be bred either? Or can you just breed amels to amels? Also, is there a difference in amels/albinos or is it the same thing?? I'm still learning about genetics, sorry If I sound dumb. ;)

milha

Hi,

so, when you say that amel/albino is lethal with other morphs, does this include the wildtype or "normal"? Has anybody here in this forum attemped to breed the amel to the other morphs?

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Amel is a single morph. Tangerine is simply a brighter coloured normal. A tangerine amel is a brighter coloured amel, not 2 morphs. It can be crossed with normals, stripes, and line-bred traits (tangerine, granite).

It cannot (apparently) be crossed with other genes like whiteout, caramel albino, patternless, etc. The babies apparently don't hatch or die right away? Although I just read in another thread that someone produced a whiteout amel?

Caramel Albino is a completely different morph. It is a totally different strain of albino, and causes a caramel colour. It is a single morph, just 2 words. Caramel Albino can be safely crossed into all other morphs (except Amel of course).

Visit our friends