Amels! The "fatal" gene?

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
So as many hardcore AFT people know, JMG and Urban claim Amel to be a fatal gene when combined with anything other that the recessive White-socks and recessive Caramel. But now we are seeing people popping up Whiteouts het Amel and Amels het Patternless. Do you think Amels are really a fatal gene or do you think JMG and Urban have incompatible lines. What are your thoughts on the matter?

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Urban has had het genes for 4+ years and yet no visible homozygous were produced. I guess my stance is, I will believe it when I see it :) Meaning the homozygous form.

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
I know for a fact I own a amel het patternless male, call it luck or call it what you will. It was one animal that survived from many, so maybe it is just a project that requires alot of work.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I know for a fact I own a amel het patternless male, call it luck or call it what you will. It was one animal that survived from many, so maybe it is just a project that requires alot of work.

Pat,

Where did the parents of the Amel het. Patternless come from JMG or Urban? Have you contaced them to try to find out if those offsrings parent ever came in contact with the Amel gene??

KelliH

Keep in mind though, that a White Out Het Amel, or an Amel Het Patternless is NOT the same as an Amel Patternless or Amel White Out. It could very well be that it is possible to have the Hets but not the traits expressed at the same time, visually (aka Amel White Out or Amel Patternless).

Azazel

I have one question - whenever one said "fatal gene", what does it actually mean? So far, from my own comprehension, there is no scientific evidence that this gene is fatal or otherwise. I used to have a lot of "fatalities" when I bred my amels last season. Out of many eggs, only 6 made it. Even so, 3 died afterwards. I am still baffled with the predicament. Maybe it was due to my incubation technique. Maybe it was because my breeders were still too young etc. But one thing for sure, I learned from that and started to concentrate more efforts on afts. And this year, something rather "exciting" happened (WOOHOO!) LOL!

snared99 said:

I was just about to try that one too...then I saw your fb status. Dang! LOL!!!

KelliH said:
Keep in mind though, that a White Out Het Amel, or an Amel Het Patternless is NOT the same as an Amel Patternless or Amel White Out. It could very well be that it is possible to have the Hets but not the traits expressed at the same time, visually (aka Amel White Out or Amel Patternless)
If all the genes are compatible, then we may see a Super WhiteOut Amel Patternless one day. I think it will probably look like a blazing blizzard with dark eyes LOL!

I believe nothing is impossible nowadays. So lets just wait and see shall we? ;)

p.s. The only question I have at the moment is whether I should invest more money into aft projects or should I invest more money into ball python projects. :)

Visit our friends