Ant Invasion!

Micherie

The vivarium for my crested gecko has been moved close to the front door and now it’s full of ants!! They have discovered her food and I don’t know what to do. Will she eat them? Will they eat her? I’m freaking out please help

I just redid her whole vivarium like a month ago so it’s all perfect and beautiful and now it’s full of ants. I’m devastated. She was hanging out and loving her new vivarium and all happy and now I haven’t seen her for two days because of these ants... Or at least I think that’s the reason I haven’t seen her.

Micherie

Oh guys... I'm sorry, nevermind. I posted this on my phone when I had difficulty navigating the site and finding what I was looking for. Now that I am on a PC I found it.

Cheers and happy day!

Micherie

I tried to do the suggestions others gave by putting a barrier around the bavarium and on the chords. I used Vaseline and it didn't work and I put tarot traps on the floor next to the table it's on and that's not working. They are just going after her food though, so if I take the food out of the vivarium they go away. Problem is she hasn't eaten for a week because she's not a dog. I can't just put the food in and she goes and eats it and I think she's avoiding it because of the ants. Now I really am worried and don't know what to do.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are the ants getting in through the top of the enclosure or the bottom? I haven't had ants in my gecko cages but in the summer I get them in my cricket enclosures all the time and, as you said, they're after the food. I know you tried vaseline. What works for me, since the ants are getting in from the top, is to use spray oil at the top of the enclosure all around so they can't get in. The ones that were already in, I would just squish once they started heading up the walls.

Aliza

Micherie

thanks Aliza. they were coming in from the top. what I've decided to do is just remove her from the bavarium and feed her in a box and then put her back in when she's done eating. but I will try your idea as well

Visit our friends