Any relation to raptors

B

baseball2k26

My mom gave me the idea that maybe geckos came from raptors, ever look at some leos? Look similar. Just a nice thought

Jheuloh

Lost in the Jello Bowl
My mom gave me the idea that maybe geckos came from raptors, ever look at some leos? Look similar. Just a nice thought

Modern day lizards and dinosaurs have no evolutionary connections which we are aware of. It is, however, thought that birds are the descendants of dinosaurs. Yes, I'm implying that the general belief of paleontologists is that today's birds came from a dinosaur that grew feathers, a beak, and other things associated with birds.

Last edited:

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
+1 ^, They also believe that before raptors became extinct that they began to develop feathers, or may have always been feathered (not all species but some).

Haligren

is behind you.
I'm sure that many lizards evolved from others that were around during the dinosaurs, but as far as a gecko being from something like a velociraptor is unlikely. For one, most 'raptors' actually had proto-feathers and walked on two legs. Moving around on four would be considered a step backward as far as evolution goes. Also, if you look at a raptor skull, it has more attributes in common with a chicken than it does a leopard gecko. Although I must admit at first glance, they do kinda look like little raptors, don't they? lol It's those large eyes and narrow snout.

Oh, and according to a book I have on leopard geckos, they are considered to be a more primitive member of the gecko family as they have eyelids and no lamaelle (think that's how you spell it). Or sticky toes. lol The leopard gecko hasn't changed much since the dinosaurs, actually.

Not trying to seem like a know-it-all, but I find this kinda stuff pretty interesting myself. :)

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
No need to be humble Cassandra, you do know it all. :main_laugh: I'm kidding. Birds of prey are the Raptors of today. Mostly for the manner in which they hunt. The term raptor is taken from the Latin word rapere, which means to sieze by force.

Last edited:

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Well, if you want to get technical, All animal life can be traced back to the same ancestors if you go back far enough, so, in a vague, VERY seperated way, Leos and dinos are related. But in the same sense, so are leos and humans. :p

Edit: On a serious side note, I do find the link between Therapod(bipedal carnivores) dinosaurs and modern birds interesting. In another way, you could say that modern lizards and mammals are actually closer related than modern reptiles and dinosaurs, as mammals evolved from Therapsids, which were reptilian creatures with mammalian characteristics(teeth structure, primative "fur/hair" etc) and these creatures share a closer link to the primative reptiles that gave rise to modern lizards and snakes.

Last edited:

Visit our friends