Anything new with UVB bulbs? My AFT is not quite as bright as he used to be

Armatron

I have had my AFT for many years, and it seems like over time his color has faded quite a bit.

The only thing I've changed are the bulbs, I've been under the impression that since AFTs are nocturnal that the only thing they need is proper heat.

Warm side is about 92, cold side is 72, 20 gallon long, heat mat, and has a humid hide.

During the day I have a plain style heat bulb, produces white light but no UVB. At night he has a heat emitter.

Any thoughts on a good way to add UVB using a 2-bulb setup? Also, is a heat emitter ok at night or should I use one of the blacklist/moonlight or red bulbs?

Thanks all :main_thumbsup:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The best way I can think of to add UVB is to find a UVB bulb for 1 of your bulbs. You just have to change it every 6 months so it continues to put out UVB (or else spring for about $250 for one of those UVB meters). It's possible that the gecko is fading due to age, but I guess a UVB trial is worth it to find out.

Aliza

UnderDogReptiles

I have never really heard anyone using UVB for AFT geckos the color fade could be because of age or not having proper vitamin supplementation a lot of people seem to be using repashy calcium plus I hear nothing but good things about it I use it on my leopard gecko it is an all in one calcium and has pigment enhancers not to say you dont use this or use proper vitamin supplementation along with gut loading your feeders just figured I would respond to your post to give you some suggestions on what could be happening I am no expert lol hope this helped any good luck :)

Visit our friends