Appetite Issues (Specific Breeder)

KDesautels08

Hey Guys,

I have been keeping leopard geckos for nearly 10 years now. All of my geckos are and have been in good health. The only issue I have currently and previously is that I have purchased several animals from one breeder in particular, and it turns out that those are the only animals of mine that I have issue with (I don't think I should go into specifics as to who, as I don't want to slander, and am not sure as to what the rules are on the subject - All I will say, is this person is one of the bigger/biggest (From what I can tell) breeders in the hobby - producing top quality genetics). The issue is I get them in, I give them time to get accustomed to their new enclosure, but they are almost always very slow to eat. They have constant water source, their temperature is reading correctly, moist and dry hides, the works... The first gecko I bought from this person, would eat very little and started to lose weight drastically, to the point where I took her to the vet, and the vet prescribed a medication, which was deemed ineffective as that particular Gecko passed about a week after that visit.

I was having a hard time believing that it was this particular breeder, because (as I mentioned previously) this breeder is a big name in the hobby. So I bought another animal from this person over this last winter, and the same exact situation is occurring. As I said above, I have no issues with any other of my animals, but the animals that I buy from this breeder all seemed to have similar issues regarding appetite. This has me concerned, as I don't want to lose another animal the same way. Over all she looks healthy (no signs of impaction/mbd/etc.), she is eating small amounts as she poops (just not regularly), she is just a very slow eater, to the point where she has dropped a significant amount of weight... Any ideas on what could help would be greatly appreciated, as I am running out of ideas on what it could be.

Thanks

indyana

Mine from Geckos Etc. were extremely slow to adjust. I feel like maybe it can be worse going from a big facility where they are in bins and hardly ever bothered to an active home where they get more attention and possibly are kept in something besides a rack? I tried blacking out windows and sounds with mine. Not sure how you're housing though.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I do think it would be a good idea (if you haven't done this already) to find out how the geckos you bought are being kept (rack, viv, etc) and what they're being fed. Much as I hate to say it, it wouldn't hurt, if you haven't done this already, to have the gecko in question tested for crypto (been there, done that).

Aliza

Visit our friends