Are hornworms good for Leos?

Number1Sticky

The petstore that I work at sells hornworms and I was thinking of getting one for each of my leos. Are they ok to feed to leos? Not as a staple diet of course. I just wanted to try them out on special occasions.

Thanks for any help!!

grboxa

Hornworms are perfectly fine for your leo, and good for them aswell:main_thumbsup:. If your worried about the horn, which I dont think is an issue from my experience, you can always just snip it easy with scissors.:main_thumbsup: try and get them on the smaller side relative to your geckos size, there very filling.

Last edited:

Small Pet Feeders

Hornworms are GREAT for Geckos and other small reptiles. They have high calcium and moisture levels that are great for any stage reptile. They don't have any chitin in them really, so they aren't a great staple feeder, but are a very healthy treat.

If you need another source of hornworms, we carry them along with silkworms, crickets, superworms, and all that. Just let us know you're from the Gecko Forums so we know who we're dealing with :)

www.smallpetfeeders.com

JordanAng420

My geckos LOVE hornworms. They tend to make a bit of a mess though, they leak blackish/brown fluid when they're being eaten. My geckos like to shake them and make a big mess. LOL.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
That's unusual Golden Gate. Were they the green ones or teal ones? A lot of reptiles find the Teal ones appealing and don't go for the green ones.
It's been awhile, and I don't remember... they were probably green. Ididn't know they come in different flavors, LOL! What food makes them change color?

DaStos208

Hi, I'm probably overreacting, but i fed my leo a hornworm that was really big, about twice the width of her head. she got it down alright, but was chewing awhile, and she pooped twice after it, but both poops were small; almost a little smaller than normal, which is strange because she ate 6-8 crickets and a giant hornworm. ive waited a few days and she hasn't pooped since, could she be impacted from eating too much? She didn't throw up, so did it all go into her gut and cause a block? or do hornworms just not contain much nutrients to be turned into poop, and she is actually fine and I'm just being over dramatic? help please, I'm afraif to feed her now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

DaStos208

thank you so much! that makes sense. She just ate last night, so when i get home from school I'll check for poop. If she has, I think it's safe to say everything is normal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Visit our friends