Baby Gargoyle Possible Shedding?

thesquidworm

Just got a baby Gargoyle gecko about two weeks ago, and he’s doing really well, been tolerating handling well for about a week and eating normally, as far as I can see. One thing that he has been doing recently that I’ve found rather odd is that he’s been sleeping on the floor of his tank, instead of on the side of a piece of cork bark where he slept for the first week. He’s been doing it for about a week now, and last night I didn’t see him come climb onto the cork bark like he usually does at night. The way I handle him is that I take out the cork bark with him on it, so I generally don’t handle him if he’s still hiding at that time. Any advice/insight would be helpful, he is about 3 months old and living in a 5 gallon nano/tall arboreal Exo terra setup, will attach pictures. I do not provide UVB since it’s a temporary setup but do provide ambient lighting during the day, and darken the light when its time to handle by putting a shirt over the lamp. He’s usually very brightly colored, even when fired down, so his background color is the one I have to pay attention to a lot when he fired down. I’ve noticed that he’s been fired down for about three days two days ago, but he has since looked more colorful and I have handled him once since then. I usually handle him every night, but I have stopped for the past two days since he is still hiding. I can check on him by looking around the side of the tank, and he is always responsive and looking at me when I do that
The room temperature hovers around 70 degrees farenheight, I did want to increase it with a low output UVB bulb but it’s a very temporary setup so I thought to wait since they are supposed to be alright in the low to mid seventies. He has plenty of hiding spots in his tank, including a large piece of cork bark and a fake hanging plant, and the bottom is covered with oak leaf litter and a bit of peat moss to retain moisture. Lately, since I noticed mold starting to grow on the cork bark, I have been misting only once daily, but the humidity still does not drop under 60 percent. It is about 70-80 a few hours after spraying. I make sure to spray the back so he’s getting enough water, but I spray lightly to prevent mold growth. Anything I should be worried about with him staying back there? Any suggestions for how to make him more comfortable when he’s shedding?
Thanks 685C5FDF-9AAC-41CF-9758-147AABF59AC3.jpeg B0CA2027-275C-43B3-9A65-06805DA7E7D6.jpeg

thesquidworm

Heard that they also search the floor of the tank for moisture, so that implies that he may be shedding, though his colors look alright

Elisha9

Keep in mind you will need a bigger enclosure. A 45x45x60 exo as yours is too small.
Also it’s normal, my boy sleeps on the floor at time, nothing to worry about!

thesquidworm

Keep in mind you will need a bigger enclosure. A 45x45x60 exo as yours is too small.
Also it’s normal, my boy sleeps on the floor at time, nothing to worry about!
Thank you! I do have an 18” by 18” by 24” bioactive for when he is adult, and a 12x12x18 if he takes awhile to grow. This is his adult enclosure E8E6D69E-67BC-476A-AE80-EC034FA7F605.jpeg

Visit our friends