Baby Gecko Won't Open Eyes

White Shaq

I have recently hatched three baby geckos and they are all normal size and are very active. The first two that hatched, hatched without difficulty and are about to go into shed. The third one hatched without issue and is thriving. The only thing is that he doesn't want to open his eyes. When he hatched and for the first 2 days his eyes were open. After those 2 days I went to look in and noticed his eyes were closed. I needed him to move so I could clean the cage so I gently touched him. He ran away and still won't open them. The only way he opens them is if I drip some water on them. I also noticed that his eyes are either eclipse or are much darker that all of the other ones because they appear solid black and you can't identify the pupils. All of the other hatchlings have their eyes open and are fine. This is my first time so any help or advice would be appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If there are bright lights around, dim them. Continue to do the water thing several times a day and hopefully the eyes will start staying open for longer.

Aliza

White Shaq

I have been continuing to drip water on his eyes. I just thought it was weird because none of the other hatchlings in the same cage are having and problems. Thanks for the advice.

White Shaq

I have been continuing to drip water on his eyes. I have dimmed the lights and cupped my hand over him to seee if he opens his eye(he sometimes will). He still usually keeps his eyes closed or squinted in the terrarium. He is getting better and is keeping them open for longer. I think it might be primarily the lights, so I will dim them when I go to take care of them.

White Shaq

I was just wondering if eclipses are more prone to light sensitivity. Also, do they sometimes hatch with eye deformities that will make them squint or keep them closed. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing since these are my first hatchling ever. Thanks for the advice.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's worth a try. When I was breeding leopard geckos I hatched a few with poorly developed eyelids (not the same problem as yours, I know) , I did the water drip trick and hand fed them as long as they needed it. I was eventually able to give them away as "special needs" geckos. They did improve as they matured and that may happen to yours as well.

Aliza

White Shaq

Just wondering, could his eye problem be genetic or is it a birth defect and nothing else. I'm wondering if he still able to be bred now that he is getting better. Both of the parents are completely healthy and don't have any sort of eye problem.

Last edited:

White Shaq

Here is another question for you. Some of my babies do not seem interested in food at all even though it has been almost a week now and the one definitely shed. Do you have any recommendations on what to do or food options. I already have mealworms, waxworms, and small crickets.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Eye problem: if the eye eventually opens and by the time he's an adult there's no sign of a problem, I would assume that it was just irritated at hatching and the gecko should be fine to breed. If you notice any ongoing problems with the eye, it's safest not to breed the gecko. Poorly formed eyelids is a fairly common birth defect related to temperature fluctuations during incubation, but that doesn't sound like the problem here. It's generally best not to breed geckos that have birth defects so you'll have to determine as the gecko matures whether this is a defect or not.

I bred leopard geckos for 13 years. Some of the hatchlings caught on to eating quickly and others not so quickly. For the ones not eating, you could wait another few days and also you could hold the gecko gently and poke a feeder at the mouth. Usually they will bite at it and will then catch on. Don't use waxworms. They're not that nutritious and eventually (as I found out the hard way) you will end up with wax moths.
I used to feed my hatchlings mealworms since I felt the small crickets are hard to catch.

Aliza

White Shaq

he seems to be getting better but only time will tell. I have been feeding them meal worms and crickets and they are getting better. Thanks for the advice

Visit our friends