Baby Geckos Not Eating After 1st Shed

jbuckets

ive read that hatchlings should start eating after their first shed. my first baby shed yesterday and didn't seem interested in crickets either yesterday or today.

should i give them some time before feeding? is there a good way to introduce live food to juvies? any help would be awesome.

TranceZ

I say leave a little dish of mealworms. Maybe put about five mealworms in there and wait a day and recount them. They should start eating anytime now though.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Fat-Tails are going to be more picky and may not take mealworms. Make sure they're in a small cage and have ample placed to hide, then offer dusted crickets 2-3 days after they shed.

jbuckets

thanks a lot, i guess i was being a little hasty expecting them to eat right away. ill wait a day or two and try again.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
I get most of my babies to eat the day they shed, but I use very small tubs, which I'm sure makes them feel more secure.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I keep my fat tail hatchlings in a rack in 6qt tubs. Usually the babies eat soon after a shed and for some reason, many of them stop eating a bit later and then pick it up again. I have just 1 hatchling so far and it ate nothing for the first 10 days. Finally I picked it up and stuffed a mealworm and a few crickets into its mouth (gently, no forcing). She's been eating ever since.

Aliza

Visit our friends