Baby not eating

ppoulto

Hi Everyone.

The last batch of eggs that hatched contained one (Desi) that had absorbed the egg sack (first born) and one that didn't (Dax).
What I find interesting is that Dax is doing fantastic!! She started eating 3 days after her birth. It has now been just over a week and the problem is that Desi still has not eaten. I thought it would be Dax that I would be concerned about.

I know Desi has shed about three days after birth. It has been a while since she pooped. we leave meal worms loose in her box overnight and take them out in the am. She is in a rack set up with others so heat and humidity are standard. It is only her that we are having trouble with. Any ideas??
When do your babies start to eat?? and when should I take things into my own hands??

Thanks everyone

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sometimes they start at day 3 and sometimes it takes a loooong time. After a week I sometimes hold the gecko and gently poke a mealworm into its mouth. Usually a hatchling will bite down and then end up eating it. I had one last season that neither ate nor pooped for WEEKS! She rejected any attempts to feed her and didn't gain weight for the longest time. Then, all of a sudden, she took off. Just keep offering and hand feed occasionally to remind them what they're supposed to be doing.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

A agree with Aliza, some of my babies have taken 3-4 weeks to begin eating. Some needed some more active prey than mealworms to stimulate a prey response so I offered them dubia. I usually weigh them weekly and make sure they're not losing a whole lot of weight. I offer nothing but mealworms for the first 2-3 weeks and then switch to trying dubia or assist feeding if they're still not eating after 3-4 weeks.

kayla.h

I had one baby last year that wouldn't eat mealies. When they're that tiny I give them fruit flies. They're quick and stimulating and they can chase a whole bunch of them. Once you see that the fruit flies are gone consistently every day try the mealworms again.

ppoulto

Many thanks everyone!!:) This certainly has put my mind at ease a bit. Unfortunately we don't have access to dubia or other food for the babies leos. We can only get meal worms and baby crickets. I can try some of those as they would be more active. :daisy:

DrCarrotTail

The crickets will be the same action level, if not more, than dubia. Sometimes they just need something to chase to stimulate them and the mealworms often don't provide much of a challenge...haha. Good luck and let us know how your baby does!

ppoulto

hi everyone.

I am freaking out. I get that it can take a long time till a newbe eats, but I can't help panicking. Desi is still not eating. I have not force fed. We did that to Elly's first born and it did not make it. If a baby can make it on its own I am all for giving it the chance. Desi is still very active but it and it's tail is thin. Desi was born May 07 so just over two weeks now. WHAT DO I DO!?

ppoulto

Update: Desi just ate a wax worm. :D Hopefully this is the start of a wonderful eating relationship for her.

I am not sure if this made a difference or not but i did start using this protein powder meal supplement the vet gave us. i just mixed it with water and placed little drops on her nose. she shakes most of it away, but when she licks her nose i tried to time dropping the solution on her tongue when out. worked good for a bit.

hopefully this helps others. i thank everyone who offered their experience to assist me through this. :daisy: I will continue to try her on as many different food types as i can get.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Aliza, when you poke a meal worm in its mouth are you holding it and forcing it's mouth open?

Hatchlings tend to bite at things in front of their mouth, so I'm not forcing the mouth open, just gently poking the end of the mealworm at the side of the mouth in the hopes that the gecko will bite it and end up eating it.

Aliza

warhawk

Just wanted to say thank you for this info. I have a baby that isn't eating and I am well on the way to freaking out. But if they can go 2 weeks with out eating I'm not as worried. I will keep trying and praying she eats tonight. Its only been a few days.

Visit our friends