Bags under her arms...too fat...or calcium bags

EjDante

Hello,

I have a 3 year old female named Beatrice. I got her in the summer, and she's a good eater. I have seen her weight go up from when I got her at 55 grams with a thinnish tail (I bought her from a breeder and she was just ending breeding season) and now she's 87 grams and holding steady. However, about two months ago I noticed these puffy bags behind her arms. I've heard two explanations...one is that it's fat, and then the other is that she's getting too much calcium, so she's developed calcium bags. Mainly from here - https://www.thesprucepets.com/leopard-gecko-armpits-1239169

In her 25 gallon enclosure I was leaving a 50/50 measure of calcium and vionate for her to eat at her leisure (based on this recommendation from an experienced breeder https://www.geckoboa.com/leopard-gecko-care-sheet.html).

Can folks please take a quick look at my photos? I have since just been dusting my dubias with the vitamins and removed the calcium mixture from the enclosure. I'm getting too much in my head now about to keep or not to keep giving her calcium. From the article these bubbles sound harmless enough but just wanted some additional review and feedback.

Happy to share any other pictures if needed.

Thank you in advance!
Eric

Attachments

• 20210107_184248.jpg
    20210107_184248.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210107_184406.jpg
    20210107_184406.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8

Skybug

It looks like chubbiness to me, are they stiff at all? Are they the same size? Whats the reaction you get when u touch or massage them, ive seen geckos with those before but they were more rounded than oblong.

EjDante

They aren't stiff. Sometimes when I see her come out of her hide, one side will be actual 'deflated'. I haven't done too much touching or massaging of them but can try this weekend.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I honestly wonder if anyone really knows why they get those bags. Many years ago people said that it was a sign that the gecko was in good breeding condition, then there was talk about obesity and then about to much calcium. I do think it was a good idea to take the calcium out of the enclosure since geckos can get too much calcium and, contrary to what some people say, it's not clear to me that they know how to regulate their intake.

Aliza

EjDante

Thanks acpart for your feedback. I'll keep out the calcium maybe till end of month and then see how that effects or doesn't effect the bags. Thanks for that historical context. I'm new to Leo's so wasn't aware that there's been different interpretations about those.

Thank you

Visit our friends