Bearded Dragons v.s. Water?

bubblez825

I have read many arguments online about bearded dragons liking or not liking water. I have also read though, that an occasional "bath time" is good hydration for the dragon. What are your guys' view on this? From personal experience, my dragon certainly seems to enjoy a bath in shallow warm water every couple of days, especially when she's shedding; even splashing herself with each front claw to cover her back in water and running around following my voice, laying down in the water wherever I am closest. She also tries to wiggle and slide back into the water when I go to take her out:)

Any thoughts?:)

~Emily

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It seems counterintuitive to me that a desert animal should be bathed, but I have heard that recommendation to help hydrate them so I do bathe mine every week or so. I don't how much she likes it but it doesn't hurt her.

Aliza

GeckoCrossing

I always recommend a good 10-15 minute soak for beardies at least once a week, but I gave mine one every other day. She'd dive under the water and start swimming around even so I'm assuming she enjoyed it. The water was only up to the bottom of her front shoulder. It's great for hydration and almost always triggers a bm.

Jayme

Arid climates aren't necessarily void of standing water. Seems plausible to me that a beardie could enjoy a bath.

coker101

Mine gets a good luke warm 20 minute bath once a week. Though she will pass food in the first couple minutes and I have to clean it out and put her back in. It does keep them hydrated and that is very important. Some dragons will drink a good bit of water while in the tub.

IMO a bath once a week is a must....

bubblez825

It sounds logical then, for bathing to be a good thing for the dragons :)

Mine loves to try to swim around too haha its really cute!

Thanks guys :)

RyuuKirin

It's good for them as it helps w/ hydration- especially in a captive environment where they don't have access to puddles and stuff... Ryuu is touch and go about her bath- sometimes she loves it, sometimes she hates it.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I asked my vet about this, she is an exotic vet. She told me she had heard people talked about how desert animal don't need much water, but that was complete misinformation. With bearded dragons, she said even bathing 1-2 times per week is not enough to keep them well hydrated; unless the dragon will go drink water. I am bathing my dragon every morning now, keeps him clean too as he poops in the water after a 10-15 minute soak; then I rinse him off and he can go back to his tank.

Visit our friends