Beginner owner

skarlette009

Hello everyone! I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place firstly. And second I think this is so awesome there is an entire forum dedicated to helping people taking care of their geckos!
So ive been planning to get a leopard gecko for sometime now but im not going to rush to get one until I make sure get everything situated. Where the enclosures going, the enclosure I'm getting all the enrichment ect. So it will probably be a few months before I get one I'm just doing all of my research before hand and trying to make a list on Amazon of everything I'll need in the tank. Which leads me to my question is there a thread on here of every item yoú need at start up? Also what size tank would be good for one? I've read people using 20 gallon aquariums but I'm open to using terrariums if they would be happier in one. So sorry for such a long post!!

Bliss13

I'm sure there might be prior posts detailing what is needed but you would have to search for it somehow. In a nutshell the things I would recommend would be: 20 gallon enclosure at least (I prefer front opening but doesn't need to be), under tank heater as they need belly heat ( I use DHP that warm slate rocks to 90 degrees for belly heat however), 3 hides (warm, moist, cool hide), calcium without D3, Calcium with D3, and a multivitamin (I get mine all separate but there are lots of products out there), water dish, possibly a food bowl, thermostat (always use a thermostat with any heating device), some form of substrate ( I prefer non-loose substrates and I personally use slate or cabinet liner). I feed a combination of dubia roaches, mealworms, superworms, and the occasional wax worm as a treat only. I despise crickets so I don't buy them. I breed mealworms and dubia as they are quite easy to breed and that helps save money. Although If you just have one gecko it might not be worth the work. I think that is all I can think of at the moment. Good luck! I would also recommend buying a gecko from a breeder rather than a pet store. This will help ensure the health of the gecko and you will know exactly what you are getting.

skarlette009

I'm sure there might be prior posts detailing what is needed but you would have to search for it somehow. In a nutshell the things I would recommend would be: 20 gallon enclosure at least (I prefer front opening but doesn't need to be), under tank heater as they need belly heat ( I use DHP that warm slate rocks to 90 degrees for belly heat however), 3 hides (warm, moist, cool hide), calcium without D3, Calcium with D3, and a multivitamin (I get mine all separate but there are lots of products out there), water dish, possibly a food bowl, thermostat (always use a thermostat with any heating device), some form of substrate ( I prefer non-loose substrates and I personally use slate or cabinet liner). I feed a combination of dubia roaches, mealworms, superworms, and the occasional wax worm as a treat only. I despise crickets so I don't buy them. I breed mealworms and dubia as they are quite easy to breed and that helps save money. Although If you just have one gecko it might not be worth the work. I think that is all I can think of at the moment. Good luck! I would also recommend buying a gecko from a breeder rather than a pet store. This will help ensure the health of the gecko and you will know exactly what you are getting.
Thank you so much for all this information! And yes I'm going to be getting an adult from a local very reputable breeder so I know it's healthy and the age ect. I was going to use a 30-40 gallon aquarium but I'm just worried since it's bigger if I'll have problems regulating the humidity ect.

Bliss13

I wouldn't worry too much about humidity. Leopard geckos tolerate a dry climate as long as you have a humid hide to help during sheds. Ambient temperature can be a wide range too. As long as you are comfortable in the room then he/she should too. Just make sure he has a floor temp of around 90 degrees on his warm side. The cool side can be around 75 or so floor temp. 30-40 gallons should be great. He will enjoy exploring it.

Onelifegecs

Thank you so much for all this information! And yes I'm going to be getting an adult from a local very reputable breeder so I know it's healthy and the age ect. I was going to use a 30-40 gallon aquarium but I'm just worried since it's bigger if I'll have problems regulating the humidity ect.
To reinforce what was already stated I have a Leo in a 40 gal and he is doing fine. No problems with humidity or temp. Ur gec will absolutely use all the space. And if humidity does become an issue a humid hide would be the answer so tank size wouldn’t effect that

skarlette009

To reinforce what was already stated I have a Leo in a 40 gal and he is doing fine. No problems with humidity or temp. Ur gec will absolutely use all the space. And if humidity does become an issue a humid hide would be the answer so tank size wouldn’t effect that
What type of heater do you have? I'm struggling finding the size I need since it's a terrarium and I'm unsure of the gallon size. I actually found one that's 36 longx18 wide x 12 high. The only difference is the height. Would that be okay? It's a 6 inch height difference.

muskiemagic

What type of heater do you have? I'm struggling finding the size I need since it's a terrarium and I'm unsure of the gallon size. I actually found one that's 36 longx18 wide x 12 high. The only difference is the height. Would that be okay? It's a 6 inch height difference.
I have my Leo in an Exo-Terra 36x18x12 and it works perfect. I know a lot of people choose not to use lights but since Im in a basement its a little difficult to get my temps up without one as well as it stays very dark down here. I use just a plain 50 watt halogen bulb with dimmer switch during the day time with no problems and run a Deep Heat Projector bulb hooked up to a thermostat at night if it gets to cold. I also have a heat mat set to 90 under warm side of tank.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210410_095914.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210410_095914.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 6

Onelifegecs

Ive used ceramic heat emitters in the past but now have a room that stays in the 80's so I only use a zoo med heat mat for 40 gal tank. Your tank is the equivalent of a 40 gal in floor space. Sorry for the delayed reply been kind of hectic

Onelifegecs

I have my Leo in an Exo-Terra 36x18x12 and it works perfect. I know a lot of people choose not to use lights but since Im in a basement its a little difficult to get my temps up without one as well as it stays very dark down here. I use just a plain 50 watt halogen bulb with dimmer switch during the day time with no problems and run a Deep Heat Projector bulb hooked up to a thermostat at night if it gets to cold. I also have a heat mat set to 90 under warm side of tank.
you have a very nice tank. Im currently looking for some more plants. Really loving what you have going on there

Visit our friends