Better Choice: Crested or Leopard?

TripleB

About six years ago I was hoping my son would get a gecko as a pet...mainly because I love the looks (and coolness factor) of both the leopard and crested geckos!

Unfortunately his thoughts went from a pet to video games. In hindsight it was good thing that we opted not to get one because I don't think he would have given it the attention it deserved.

Now I feel is the perfect time for me to get either a crested or leopard gecko as my first reptile.

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of each (availability, ease of care, enjoyment, ease of meeting diet requirements, handling, upkeep, etc.)?

Any words of wisdom about either you would like to share?

Thanks for and all help!

TripleB

Last edited:

The lizards

I have no experience with crested geckos, so I wouldn't be able to tell you about them but I do have experience with leopard geckos. They are a great starter reptile and are available in mostly every pet/reptile store. Their care is very easy, just make sure they have water, mist, scoop their poop, and check on them every so often. As for their food, it's very easy to feed them and as far as I know, their food is available for purchase all over. Some love to be handled, some not so much, you just have to look at their temperament before you buy your new pet!

If there's any other questions you have I'd be happy to help!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As you may suspect, it's a matter of personal taste. Here are the basic differences that can help you make up your mind:
--leopard geckos need live food and crested geckos can live without live food (though they really seem to like catching crickets!)
--leopard geckos need belly heat and crested geckos don't really need extra heat but may need cooling if it gets above the low 80's for a protracted period
--leopard geckos are terrestrial (though some do like to climb) and crested geckos are arboreal (though some spend time on the ground)
--leopard geckos mostly come in the white/yellow/orange color palette, and crested geckos are usually in the earth tones palette (brown, beige, rust red, olive green)
--leopard geckos do best in an enclosure minimally 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12") and adult crested geckos need a tall enclosure minimally 18"x18"x18" (a 12x12x18 is too small for an adult to be comfortable for long)

If any of the specific characteristics are deal breakers for you, that will make your choice. Otherwise, it's a question of what moves you.

Aliza

TripleB

As you may suspect, it's a matter of personal taste. Here are the basic differences that can help you make up your mind:
--leopard geckos need live food and crested geckos can live without live food (though they really seem to like catching crickets!)
--leopard geckos need belly heat and crested geckos don't really need extra heat but may need cooling if it gets above the low 80's for a protracted period
--leopard geckos are terrestrial (though some do like to climb) and crested geckos are arboreal (though some spend time on the ground)
--leopard geckos mostly come in the white/yellow/orange color palette, and crested geckos are usually in the earth tones palette (brown, beige, rust red, olive green)
--leopard geckos do best in an enclosure minimally 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12") and adult crested geckos need a tall enclosure minimally 18"x18"x18" (a 12x12x18 is too small for an adult to be comfortable for long)

If any of the specific characteristics are deal breakers for you, that will make your choice. Otherwise, it's a question of what moves you.

Aliza
Thank you very much for the comparisons and your time!

Based on the information, I find that I like each of them for different reasons.

I originally liked the looks of the Leopard a great deal more (overall looks and coloring) but the crested gecko's looks are really started to grow on me. Like the fact that no extra heating/lighting is needed for the crested. Really like the fact that I don't have to worry about live food with the crested gecko. Like the fact that the Leopard is much less likely to lose its tail (and it grows back). Like the fact that a crested gecko has a vertical tank (definitely works better where I'll have the tank.

So as a recap, I guess I like everything about the crested gecko better except it losing it's tail easier (and it doesn't grow back) and the overall look of the gecko (but as I said, the look is really growing on me the more I look at them).

Again, I appreciate your feedback!

TripleB

Onelifegecs

Thank you very much for the comparisons and your time!

Based on the information, I find that I like each of them for different reasons.

I originally liked the looks of the Leopard a great deal more (overall looks and coloring) but the crested gecko's looks are really started to grow on me. Like the fact that no extra heating/lighting is needed for the crested. Really like the fact that I don't have to worry about live food with the crested gecko. Like the fact that the Leopard is much less likely to lose its tail (and it grows back). Like the fact that a crested gecko has a vertical tank (definitely works better where I'll have the tank.

So as a recap, I guess I like everything about the crested gecko better except it losing it's tail easier (and it doesn't grow back) and the overall look of the gecko (but as I said, the look is really growing on me the more I look at them).

Again, I appreciate your feedback!

TripleB
For me crested geckos have been easier to care for. However, as you are new to the hobby the swiftness of the babies may be a cause of concern. So I’d advise getting an adult gecko if you go with the crested gecko. The babies are manageable but it is a bit scary at times when they decide to jump unexpectedly.

Visit our friends