Big shedding problem, scared

geckoqueen

My gecko has a full body shed and for about a week the shed is stuck. I got some of the shed off with tweezers and q-tip and I pulled some shed off. The thing is my gecko can hardly move because the shed is stuck under neith and on his arms and legs. I did get a small bowl of luke warm water and placed gecko in there. He is sitting in the small bowl of water right now. I had to pick him up because he can't really move. I am asking what do I do? The shed still seems stuck. I have a humid hide with moss and temp is 90, though not sure what the humidity is I do not know, I did mist the gecko as well many times and the shed is still stuck. And looks thin though he eats..I seen him eat when the shed was not stuck like it was. Do i need warmer water and how long i leave in bowl, cause the water goes under his belly also. He has shed stuck to his head under his belly and toes and arms and not moving too well. I am scared what is wrong with my gecko...

geckoqueen

If this Gecko dies I do not think I will get another one. I lost the orange gecko and I had a hard time losing him.. and now my other gecko is very sick, not moving too well and the shed is stuck everywhere, feels clam-y to. I will do everything I can to help my gecko but it does not look good. I'm going to cry again. My orange gecko his feet and legs were missing and he had shed stuck to him and he died. Not sure if soemthing fell on him, or if he was like that for awhile because always in his shed box. I felt beyond bad and I just cant think of it anymore. Now this other gecko I have the same problem. I can't deal with it, or seeing my pets go through this. I like geckos they are pretty but I can't get another one.

Last edited:

geckoqueen

I'm sad...

I've only had to deal with one stuck shed so far. All I did was a warm soak then massage the shed off with a q-tip.

I've tried to do all that and the shed is not coming off, some of it but he still has shed on his head, under belly both legs and arms..also looks thin though I feed my gecko and he looks sick and feels slimy. Something is not right. I feel heart sick. He can't move his legs. That is what happen to my other gecko. I think, though not sure what happen but it was not good and he died. I did get both geckos from a pet store, not from a breeder. I starting to see now I got 2 sick geckos.

Last edited:

Ratman667

From my understanding, if he is thin but eating, then he may have worms. I would really recommend taking him to a vet. At the minimum, take a fecal sample in. Do you have any pictures of what his condition?

geckoqueen

From my understanding, if he is thin but eating, then he may have worms. I would really recommend taking him to a vet. At the minimum, take a fecal sample in. Do you have any pictures of what his condition?

There are no vets where I live. I also can't afford a vet, maybe I need to give the gecko to someone here. I am so sad..Cries..Someone help this little critter.
I can send by mail free, just help him. I don't have the means to go to vet and even if I did there is no vet close by. This gecko is very sick. No more gecko for me but a fish I could have, don't need a vet for a fish. I don't think this gecko is going to make it unless gets to a vet. Is all I am saying.

geckoqueen

I'm so sorry! where are you located? and if I could get a pic that would really help.

I do not have a camera or a scanner. I am that poor. I do not have recent picture. I do not know if the gecko will make a trip. I am in Freeport, IL..
I have enough for rent and bills and that is it.

If anyone lives close by please take my gecko, or I will ship free. No cost. I just want this gecko to have a chance to live, cries...Man this is sad. As you can tell i get very attached to geckos..I love them though I can't own one anymore.

geckoqueen

I'll tell you something very sad. My orange gecko he is dead now. Anyway before he died he lost a leg and I think that was because of shedding though I am not sure of that. You could tell he was in a lot of pain. I just broke down and cried in front of the cage. His mouth was open big and he was trying to move. He died stiff and looked a different color. I knew he was dead. God saddest thing ever to see. I loved that gecko..
I cry now. I can't deal with it. I want this other gecko to have a chance to live...I feel better than.

Last edited:

geckoqueen

The picture you see in my avatar is my pet hasehy..That is the gecko that died..i love you Hashey.. Man I think I loved that gecko more than my family. I had a close bond with him.
Ah cries all over the place..I think I stop talking about it...I'm so sorry you died in so much pain. You were my best friend..Rest in peace buddy..
love you..

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
okay, you are a very responsible person to seek out help when you need it, and I'm so sorry about your loss. But let's take this one step at a time, the first thing you need to do is to take the stuck shed of him. how is he now? if it's REALLY stuck you have to be very firm on taking it off, keep working at it. it might take a long time but that might be his only chance at making it! you can do it!! okay, second step would to be food. his codition sounds pretty bad and he's gonna need some slurry, it's a sticky under health and medications. if you can't get the ingredeants to make that go to your nearst ***** and get Zilla jump-start. Then you can try to get someone on here to take him in for you. look around or start another thread to see if anybodys intreasted. For his best chance at life, you need to do these things NOW.

geckoqueen

It has gotten to the point where my gecko is not moving much and yes he has all his legs but he can't use his back legs. I did get the shed off his legs. His arms the shed will not peel off. I tried q tips, water baths and twezzers and misting. The thing is he is not eating. I give him food but he keeps refusing and his legs look like twigs. He can't move his lower body and it looks sunk in. He can't move from his legs. He feels life less when I move him into his water bowl for a bath. I have a sepearte bowl for him to swim in. Should i have him put to sleep? I can't keep him alive like this. Or should I let him outside. He is going to have to die because he is too sick to live. . I don't have money for vet bill. I am calling tomorrow and I am also going to ask the vet what to do. I know my gecko wants to live, but this gecko can't keep living this way. His arms are very tiny and this is why I can't get the shed off. Because he wont eat, he don't want to eat. The only thing he can do is move is his arms, the rest of him is life less and won't move. See this is what I am saying. If I thought there was hope I would do everything I could but I do not see any hope for him to get better. I only see my gecko getting worse day by day. I placed more worms in his tank tonight and he will not eat anything. He can move some but not too far. This gecko is that sick, he don't want food and is losing the ablitiy to move.

Last edited:

ajveachster

You may want to try to feed the slurry that is posted on a sticky in the health and medication section. If you can't afford or get all the ingredients, then do a modified version. It does sound like they have/had something that is not going to be easily cured, and really a vet is needed.

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
Okay, did you try the slurry? The most humane thing to do right now might be to put him to sleep. Whatever you do NOT release him outside!!! Leopard geckos aren't meant to be in that environment and he'll probably slowly starve to death in pain or get eaten. I also highly suggest that you don't get another one since you don't have the resources or money to take care of them.

Sandyballs

One time my gecko had a stuck shed on his head......keep doing what your doing, after a small piece of shed is kinda coming off pinch it with two fingers, your gecko then will pull back his head removing the shed
At least it worked for me
I really hope this helps

Visit our friends