Bitten tail during shed

Paccman02

07063F6F-6B3E-44D2-9ADF-0ADC903015F0.jpeg
So my leopard gecko started shedding this week. We went through all the normal procedures of making sure she was fed and had her humid hide. Her tail was fine when I went to sleep but when I woke up. It was tore up almost like the skin wasn't ready but she pulled it off anyway. Now her tail is dark and hard at spots but fleshy in others but she has not dropped it. I am reading that it "can" heal on its own but there's not a lot of info unless the tail is rotted or completely dropped. I guess you could consider this tail rot but it was caused by trauma. The quality of life seems to be fine. She's running around normally with the exception of a heavy tail. Any advice ?

Attachments

• C6CA00A0-0A97-47EC-8717-7E3BF274B8AC.jpeg
    C6CA00A0-0A97-47EC-8717-7E3BF274B8AC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
See if there's any remaining shed you can pull off gently. Make sure that the cage is clean. The tail may heal or she may drop part of it. I'm a firm believer in the "wait and see" idea. If you see it getting red and swollen or if it has pus, or if there are red streaks running up the tail, you will need to take the gecko to the reptile vet.

Aliza

Paccman02

See if there's any remaining shed you can pull off gently. Make sure that the cage is clean. The tail may heal or she may drop part of it. I'm a firm believer in the "wait and see" idea. If you see it getting red and swollen or if it has pus, or if there are red streaks running up the tail, you will need to take the gecko to the reptile vet.

Aliza
Thank you so much for you reply, it really did help ease my nerves as a new reptile owner. Here is an update on her, she ended up using all the fat that she could. I made this assumption based on the fact that she was not eating and then had a big poop the day before she eventually dropped her tail. She is now a tailess gecko and I already have some medicines for the wound and will give her tank a deep clean when she wakes up tonight

Visit our friends