Parker

I've had two baby crested geckos for a while now, set up in a bioactive enclosure with sprngtails, a fogger, cork bark and live plants. Recently when I've been putting their food (repashy) into their tank I've noticed these small black mites in the repashy. The two cresties are in perfectly good health but I'm just wondering whether these mites are a risk and how I could get rid of them

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
are you sure they're mites? Do you keep crickets? I ask because I often get fruit flies in my cricket enclosures and they end up in the gecko cages as well and then I get fruit fly maggots in the CGD. I don't think cresties are prone to mites, so these might just be another bug in the bioactive enclosure (assuming that's what you have). I wouldn't worry about them unless they are taking over the enclosure,

Aliza

Parker

are you sure they're mites? Do you keep crickets? I ask because I often get fruit flies in my cricket enclosures and they end up in the gecko cages as well and then I get fruit fly maggots in the CGD. I don't think cresties are prone to mites, so these might just be another bug in the bioactive enclosure (assuming that's what you have). I wouldn't worry about them unless they are taking over the enclosure,

Aliza
I don't keep crickets, but I have had fruit flies in there before, are fruit fly maggots black and crawl?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
No, the maggots are white and squirm, but sometimes it looks as if the flies are crawling around. A picture would be helpful.

Aliza

Visit our friends