Blindness in leopard gecko?

ammr3b

My gecko is a 5-6 month old male and recently I have noticed some odd behaviors that make me believe he can’t see well. If tong fed he often misses the food even if I hold very still. Similarly if I get the “small” mealworms instead of the large he can’t seem to find them in the bowl even if they are moving (note it is not due to lack of appetite as if I place a larger worm in the bowl he will immediately gobble it down. He will also occasionally run into new things I place in his enclosure. Has anyone had experience with poor sight in geckos?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some albino geckos don't see well in bright light. Some people have kept geckos that are documented to be blind and the trick is to avoid moving the furniture around (though based on what you say, it sounds as if the gecko sees well enough to know where the furniture is). On the other hand, I have a number of leopard geckos who are definitely not blind but they're terrible hunters and I end up hand feeding them.

Aliza

ammr3b

Some albino geckos don't see well in bright light. Some people have kept geckos that are documented to be blind and the trick is to avoid moving the furniture around (though based on what you say, it sounds as if the gecko sees well enough to know where the furniture is). On the other hand, I have a number of leopard geckos who are definitely not blind but they're terrible hunters and I end up hand feeding them.

Aliza
As far as I can tell my guy is a super hypo with a slight carrot tail (though the orange is spreading down as he is getting older now). He definitely isn’t blind as he can perceive movement but I think he can’t see in detail. Thanks for the info.

Visit our friends