Blue crayfish/lobsters

DoubleZ

Ok, well the company my dad works for had some little blue crayfish, he said lobsters but I think he meant crayfish. Apparently someone made a mistake and put a pair together. Now they have tons of babies. My dad said I can have some. So, I wondering, should I put them in the 45gallon with a cory cat, 3 phantom tetras, a rosy barb, a pair of swordtails, and a plattii or in my 1.5 gallon with my betta and pygmy cat or should I set up my empty 10gallon?

Halley

You’re going to want to house crayfish alone, they’re eat anything else in the tank unless it’s bigger than them. And they get mildly big.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
I've had them. They will eat your fish if they see the opportunity, and if your fish are big enough as in the case with my albino Oscars, your fish will eat or kill them. I was surprised by the sizes of some of their victims. They are pretty strong. You're better off keeping them separate. They do look very nice. I also had Tiger Crayfish. Those are pretty good looking also. I miss having my fish tank set up. I had two roommates back then and we all had our own 50 gallon set ups. We were very competitive about it, lol. Once I moved I bought a couple of really nice Flowerhorns and they killed all of my other fish until there was only one Flowerhorn left. I was pretty upset by it and I had a lot into my fish, so I lost interest in keeping fish. At least for the time being. Come to think of it, a large tank of warm water might be a good way to keep my room temps where I want them (I could just be reaching, lol).

Last edited:

DoubleZ

I've been getting more into fish since my boyfriend has gotten into it and is starting to breed some things.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had one of those a few years ago in my indoor/outdoor fish pond. It was called a "blue lobster" when I bought it, but it was probably a crayfish. I had it when my pond was inside (Oct.-June) and I had no problem with my neon rosy barbs and red eyed tetras. Then one morning, we found it downstairs by the front door. It had climbed out of the pond and walked from the back of the second floor down to the front of the first floor. It did it again a few months later and I realized that it would be a disaster when the pond went outside because it's on a second floor porch. I found someone to take it and when I moved the pond I planned to give it to him, but I couldn't find it. Finally, I found that it had burrowed into the gravel in one of the water plant pots. I was sorry to see it go, but it wasn't safe at my house.

Aliza

DoubleZ

They're here. Nine, if i counted right, teeny babies. I have them in one of those little breeder things that hang onto the side of your tank in my 45. I lined the bottom with gravel so they can't fall through.

acpart, that reminds me of the one that lived in the petstore near me. He'd escape and climb into other tanks, find the female's tanks, generally do what he pleased. He died at age threeish from escaping his tank, climbing a shelving unit, and getting stuck on top of it. They didn't find him until too late.

R

REPEtc

My blue "lobster" escaped his tank and I remember calling the fish store (where I later worked) to ask what kind of search radius to put out! Apparently I didnt search well enough because we found him, about 6 months later, dried up under the piano... a full flight downstairs all the way across the house! Don't know how he made it that far without getting eaten by the cat...

In terms of your juveniles, I imagine that they will be fine for quite some time. They tend to vary a lot in their aggression levels, as I have had some that will go after cichlids, and some that are so wimpy that I actually housed him with my discus. Eventually, they will probably start to fight so you will probably have to separate them.

marineman26

My blue "lobster" escaped his tank and I remember calling the fish store (where I later worked) to ask what kind of search radius to put out! Apparently I didnt search well enough because we found him, about 6 months later, dried up under the piano... a full flight downstairs all the way across the house! Don't know how he made it that far without getting eaten by the cat...

same thing happened with me. I got mine and he escaped out of the tank I searched for a long time for him and a few months later I found him deader then a door nail on the floor man I was mad 35 bucks down the drain. I have also lost a few fiddler crabs the same way only way they could of escaped was up the filter tube because everything else was sealed nicely so that area must be sealed off as well.

yep make sure youve got a tank sealed off really well so the escape artists cant get out on you. I wish I would of known before it was to late. I am thinking about picking another one up sometime but this time he wont escape lol

Visit our friends