Bookcase Leo Cage...

fishyfan

I converted a shelf in my bookcase into an enclosure for my golden gecko (who is about 11-12 years old now) a few years ago but he doesnt really use it all that much. I was considering moving my golden to a 10 gallon or a 20L and moving my leos into the bookcase enclosure, its about 60" x 10" so it would give them more space to roam around in. They are more active than my golden gecko anyway so they'd probably make more use of the space.

I am having a problem figuring out how to heat the cage though, any ideas would be appreciated...

I didnt forget to include pics ;)

Flash:
geckocage5.jpg

No flash (front looks a bit foggy because i had just misted):
geckocage1.jpg

ajveachster

Does the current substrate go all the way to the wood shelf, or is there something between the substrate and the shelf? I was thinking you could sandwich heat cable or tape between layers of tile. That way it won't burn the wood, but will be warm enough for the leos.

Khrysty

Does the current substrate go all the way to the wood shelf, or is there something between the substrate and the shelf? I was thinking you could sandwich heat cable or tape between layers of tile. That way it won't burn the wood, but will be warm enough for the leos.

:main_thumbsup:

alternatively, placing heat tape, mat, or cable on top of foil (tin or aluminum, just something that's not going to transfer the heat) and under tile, layers of paper, or whatever, will work just as well.

ajveachster

Sorry you aren't getting a response from anyone. I think it is going to be a trial and error process for you since it is such a unique setup. That might be why people are shy to offer an answer. Wish I could help, but have never used heat tape.

mynewturtle

Use enough so it covers one side to make the element of a "cool side warm side". I like the 4 inch stuff for my racks, but 11 inch might be better for this tank. Remember to use a thermostat to control the heat of the tape.

fishyfan

Thanks for the help guys, ive never used heat tape either so i have no idea what im doing...

I only have about 10" of clearance between the front and back so 11" won't fit, do you think a single strip of the 4" wide heat tape would get hot enough?

Visit our friends