Breeding and Genes Questions

AngelFoodCake

I am planning on breeding my two leopard Geckos next year, This will be my first time breeding Leopard geckos and am having a hard time understanding Genetics and all their possible morphs. I have a Tremper Albino Male thats about 1 year and 4 months old and a Diablo female thats turning 10 months old.

My question is, is it safe to breed these two together at some point. I know from my research that there are recessive and dominate genes and that breeding two different types of albino morphs is a big no no, But i am not so sure if it would be ok to breed a Tremper Albino and a Diablo Blanco together. I know that the Diablo Blanco morph is a combination of the Blizzard and the raptors. I read somewhere before that that Diablo Blancos are a combination of 4 recessive traits, Blizzards, Tremper Albinos, Tremper Eclipse, and Patternless Stripes. But I'm not totally understanding it and I have a lot of questions still. I've owned several types of reptiles, But have never delved too deeply into what my animals genes are.. just their own basic morph name, And I want to have the proper knowledge before i even attempt breeding.

I know who my Tremper's parents were, his were a tremper Albino female and a Tangerine male. And when I got my Diablo I was too exited when I got my favorite morph and forgot to ask what her exact parents were before hand.. He did say something about her having a Diablo Parent I think, And it sounded like both her parents were diablos but I am not sure if I am remembering correctly and I can no longer contact the breeder I brought her from because I lost his contact information a while back.
Is it unsafe to breed her with my Tremper male someday without knowing her exact Genetics..? I want to learn as much as a can and I really want to work with animals start breeding someday.

If it is safe and I can breed them, What are the chances of getting a diablo offspring? I'm not sure what the babies would come out as or what the chances are. I tried using one of those online gene morph calculator things to help me out, but I am not sure if it is correct because it just says "100% chance of tremper albino offspring." instead of like 50% Tremper, 50% Diablo or 75% and 25% or something like the other combos I tried out just to test it said.

I know it is very unsafe to breed, say, a Temper and a Rainwater albino together, But I can't find any information saying that a tremper and a Diablo Can't breed, so I wanted to ask here if anyone knew for sure or not. And if possible, what the % chance of the offspring would be.
I still have a lot to learn, and have been researching this for the past 6-8 months, if anyone wants to give me advise or information, please feel free! I am very passionate about this by this point and really want to learn! I am just a little slow on the uptake and it takes me a long time to learn and absorb information.. But I'm trying!

(In a couple of the pictures I've uploaded it looked like they are together, but rest assured they in no way live together in the same cage and have their own 20 Gallon tanks (female is temporarily in a 10 gallon at the moment but is getting a new 20 gallon soon again). I just took a couple of photos of them outside their cages, side by side for size comparison for a minute then separated them again to their own tanks.)

Attachments

• My leopard gecko.JPG
    My leopard gecko.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1
  • My leopard gecko F 2.JPG
    My leopard gecko F 2.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1
  • My leopard geckos BOTH UP TOP PHOTO.JPG
    My leopard geckos BOTH UP TOP PHOTO.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 1
  • My leopard geckos BOTH FRONT PHOTO.JPG
    My leopard geckos BOTH FRONT PHOTO.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 1

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm going to try to give you information that's within the scope of a post, as opposed to a whole article length answer. Yes, it's "safe" to breed your geckos since they both have Tremper albino genes and not (as far as you can very reasonably determine) any other albino strain genes. As far as outcome, if you list each trait that each gecko has and then look at what outcomes there will be depending on which of each parent's genes the offspring get, you will ultimately be able to figure it out. Note that since both of your geckos are albinos, all the offspring will be albinos. Note also that blizzard, albino, eclipse are recessive and patternless stripe (I don't actually see this in the classic definition of diablo blanco) and tangerine are line bred or polygenetic.
You can also google "leopard gecko genetics" and read some articles. Here is an article to get you started and also 2 websites to check out:
leopardgeckowiki.com

Aliza

AngelFoodCake

Thank you for your response! I'm a rather slow individual to learning new things so thank you for your help and links. I've looked up this topic before but never really found any concrete evidence that they could or could not. But it's probably because I am not looking in the right places lol..
I haven't really heard a lot of people talk about Diablos in general, or their experiences with them.
Sorry, I apologize for the long post, I have a terrible habit of typing more than I need too..

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
No problem. I'm happy to answer specific questions as opposed to a general "tell me about genetics" question. I hope the places I sent you are helpful.

Aliza

Visit our friends