What kind of setup do you prefer for your reptiles?

• Simple and minimal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crowded

• Vivarium

• Self Sustaining Bioactive Vivarium (Little to no clean up)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Moderate with possible fake plants

• Total voters

Maximumsubzero

As the title suggest, I am slowly gathering all the supplies needed for a bioactive vivarium. Obviously most if not all live plants need "grow lights", but I've noticed they can be awfully bright compared to a UVB light. My question is would/do the grow lights negatively effect the reptiles. The one I have temporarily setup for my Halmahera does have plenty of dark spaces and hides if need be, but still begs the question if it will negatively effect him and any of the other reptiles.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have grow lights for all my planted vivs. As long as there is a place where the gecko can get out of the light if it wishes to, it's fine. My leachie has a cork tube and will spend some time that the light is on plastered on the side of the enclosure (sometimes right under the light) and some of the time inside the cork.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would take her out and weigh her but she tends to bite. She's at least 180grams and is about 7 years old.

Maximumsubzero

Lol that's fine, I only ask because I know a fully grown leachie is pretty hefty and was wondering if any what plants or trees do you use to support there weight. Even full grown my Halmahera will never weigh as much, but I know I need a tough plant/tree for the weight and abuse the gecko will put on it.

Maximumsubzero

As of right now I have a Ficus Bonsai which looks nice and the trunk is especially thick and sturdy, but the leaves act like sugar glass.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't have any plants that will support her weight. She's in an 18x18x18 viv that primarily features a feeding ledge and a cork bark tube. There is also a piece of driftwood that's kind of "protecting" a growth of pothos. That won't support her weight, but the driftwood keeps her from crushing the plant and sometimes she seems to like to be on the glass amid the vines.

Aliza

Maximumsubzero

No problem, I'm just having a hard time finding a tree like plant that can support such weight. So far since I put the Bonsai Ficus in my Halmahera's tank the humidity seems to be strengthening it. The leaves don't necessarily act like glass anymore. Though I do wish it was taller. I do want to get some drift wood in there, that or grapevines. Both look nice.

Visit our friends