EricCartman

I have a setup with 2 hides, but my leopard gecko only goes in the one away from the under-tank heater. I took the one she never goes under out because crickets constantly hid under it and then died, and I thought it would be a good idea to give her more space (I let crickets stay in her tank for a couple of days... it has never bothered her). I had tried taking one out and putting it on the side with the heater, but she still didn't want to go in it. It is not an issue with the temp of the heater, but I did lower it a couple of degrees. I am worried she is not getting enough heat from the under tank heater because she always stays in her favourite hide on the cool side of her tank... Is taking the hide that she never uses out a good idea? I know that they should have 2 hides.

I'm new to this Forum, so sorry if the format is screwed up or something :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you put the hide she likes on the cool side, will she go in that one? Some leopard geckos kind of self brumate at this time of year and will stay on the cool side, not eat much and sleep a lot. As long as you've already checked (with a digital thermometer and probe) that the floor on the inside of the hide isn't too hot, there's not much you can do or should worry about.

Aliza

ZNature

Sometimes geckos favor a certain type of hide more than others. Try different kinds of hides like half log hides, hides with more than one opening and hides with only one opening. I have a geckos who prefers hides with multiple openings and another who only uses cave hides that are tall and I have a male Leo who only likes small hides with just enough space to curl up in.

Visit our friends