Calci dust or not Calci dust?

AndyBunn

Hello all

I have a question about supplements for Carrot my Leopard gecko.

The breeder told me that I should use Calci dust and Nutrobal as supplements on alternative days and have a few days of nothing.

I've been doing this for two years. I have nearly run out of both so I went to my local petshop, which is a small family run store.

The staff there told me that I did not need to use Calci dust just the Nutrobal.

Is this true?

I use a ceramic heat blub for heat and a Arcadia 7% UVB shade dweller for the synthesis of vitamin d.

Nutrobal by Vetark
High calcium balancer and multivitamin/mineral support for reptiles and birds
PRODUCT BENEFITS:

Combined calcium, vitamin and mineral supplement with vitamin D3
Calcium:phosphorus ratio of 46:1
Supports balanced diet to help prevent calcium deficiencies

It has these ingredients

Vitamin A 3a672a IU 600,000 –
Vitamin D3 IU 180,000 –
Vitamin E 3a700 IU 23,500 –
Choline chloride 3a890 mg 6,000 -
Vitamin C 3a300 mg 3,000 –
Niacinamide 3a315 mg 3,000 -
Vitamin B2 mg 720 –
Calcium D-Pantothenate 3a841 mg 651.9 - Vitamin B1 3a821 mg 600 –
Vitamin B6 3a831 mg 360 –
Folic acid 3a316 mg 180 –
Vitamin K3 3a711 mg 50 –
Vitamin B12 mg 0.145

Calci Dust
ProRep Calci Dust is a supplement for reptiles and amphibians. It is made from 100% natural calcium carbonate with no additives and is an excellent way to provide essential calcium and avoid deficiency diseases.

Most reptiles and amphibians can only absorb calcium from their food in the presence of vitamin D3. It is essential that adequate UVB light of the correct wavelength and intensity is provided to enable D3 synthesis by the animal or that oral D3 is supplied.

So do I ditch the Calci dust or not?

Thanks for reading this far and any help I receive.

Andy and Carrot.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It seems that both products have calcium and vitamin D3, so I agree that only one of the products is needed.

Aliza

AndyBunn

Hi Aliza

How are you doing?

I love keeping my leopard gecko but why oh why is there so much conflicting husbandry practice?

Well in you I trust so I'll follow your advice. I'm going to use just the Nutrobal from now on.

I thank you do much Aliza. You are the backbone and oracle of Geckoforums!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm assuming you're not a parent. If you think there are conflicting ideas about how to care for geckos . . .
Really, the trick is to pick something reasonable, do it for awhile and see how the gecko responds. If a new idea seems attractive, try that for awhile and see if it's better, worse or the same.

Aliza
(thanks for the compliment)

AndyBunn

Hi Aliza
that's a good idea. I am a parent and fortunately my line of work taught me how to be a good parent and trial and error is a part of parenting as you say.

I kinda do this with my pets too but occasionally I get hit with a curve ball and panic. I don't really know why as Carrot is doing well and of course so are my children.

Its just nice I guess to know I'm on the right track.

Thanks again Aliza.

BTW hope you and yours are all well.

Andy

Visit our friends