Cant Decide

Knytemare

I have 2 leopard geckos right now and kind of want to get something new. Im thinking either a crestie or a gargoyle. I know both are pretty similar and read that the gargs get a lil bigger and arnt as flighty as cresties, but some people may like cresties over gargs or vise versa. Soo i come to you all to get some of your opnions from your experiences with either or.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I have both, and love both, but definitely favor my cresties over my gargs.

However, thats just personal preference. Not all cresties are flighty, I dont know where this info ever came from?:main_rolleyes: LOL. Each and every one has their own personality. I have cresties that are just as calm and handleable as some of my gargoyles, and also have gargoyles that are flighty.

All are different, dont go by stereotypes. If you cant have both, pick the one that appeals to you more. Either way, they are both great, you cant go wrong. I just think cresties are cuter :p

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's definitely personal preference. I got interested in cresties and have one, but discovered after having him for while (it's been 6 years) realized that I'm not interested in any more. However, I fell in love with gargoyles, got a female, got a second female and am now attempting to breed the older female with a loaner male. I just have this thing about black and gray with red/orange stripes.

Aliza

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I vote gargoyles all the way. They're bigger, less jumpy and their tails don't pop off when you look at them wrong. The color spectrum you can get them in is really unique, and there aren't 5000 morphs that you need to go college to understand like cresteds.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
aww come on you can use us college educated dumbies to tell ya the morph ;)

I like both of them for different reasons. I think my cresteds have a wider range of personalities from sweet and mild tempered, to very outgoing and curious, to spazoids. I love cresteds because they are beautiful, IMO I find them more attractive than gargs. They are not known for biting, and although yes I have had some loose their tail, when you keep large numbers like I do it is bound to happen, but most often when you have a single pet they dont tend to spaz out on you and drop their tail unless it is an over the top sensitive gecko. And I even have a loud parrot who doesnt even phase them when he decides to go ape poop with screaming.

Gargs...I do love my garg. I had 4 but decided breeding gargs was not in my plans so I cut back to just one, my fav of the 4 I had. Gargs can be squirmy, they are more apt to bite or poop on you when they are young, however when older they mellow out. I do enjoy their stocky build more, and they are more content to chill in your hand vs a crested wants to walk about. And they are beautiful, although like I said I prefer the looks of cresteds more.

However you have to ask yourself are you going to stop at just 1 gecko? Realize 2 female cresteds *usually* get along, however gargs do best housed 1 to a tank unless you are going to go with a rather large enclosure. So if youre limited on space but think you may in the future want 2 females to house together, you may want to consider cresteds.

Knytemare

aww come on you can use us college educated dumbies to tell ya the morph ;)

I like both of them for different reasons. I think my cresteds have a wider range of personalities from sweet and mild tempered, to very outgoing and curious, to spazoids. I love cresteds because they are beautiful, IMO I find them more attractive than gargs. They are not known for biting, and although yes I have had some loose their tail, when you keep large numbers like I do it is bound to happen, but most often when you have a single pet they dont tend to spaz out on you and drop their tail unless it is an over the top sensitive gecko. And I even have a loud parrot who doesnt even phase them when he decides to go ape poop with screaming.

Gargs...I do love my garg. I had 4 but decided breeding gargs was not in my plans so I cut back to just one, my fav of the 4 I had. Gargs can be squirmy, they are more apt to bite or poop on you when they are young, however when older they mellow out. I do enjoy their stocky build more, and they are more content to chill in your hand vs a crested wants to walk about. And they are beautiful, although like I said I prefer the looks of cresteds more.

However you have to ask yourself are you going to stop at just 1 gecko? Realize 2 female cresteds *usually* get along, however gargs do best housed 1 to a tank unless you are going to go with a rather large enclosure. So if youre limited on space but think you may in the future want 2 females to house together, you may want to consider cresteds.

lol thanks, well first i had 2 ball pythons and decided geckos, no i have 2 leopard geckos which are great and i like, but it seems that cresties have more personality and may be more enjoyable to handle/watch. I wet to petsmart yesterday and bought a Zoomed Rainforest kit and have it upp setup and what not cause im planning on getting something at the NARBC show in about 10 days lol. Space really isnt a problem i mean atm i still have a rack (incase of any breeding now or in the furture) which takes up room but the zoo med kit fits nicely right on top, and if i get more, i can sureley find room, but im thinking of going with a crestie.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
Just want to forwarn you if you are going with a smaller animal you will want to start with a smaller setup. Both of these species do better in a smaller enclosure. Usually a med-large kk or a 2.5 gallon is fine to start with, even a 5 gallon would work. Normally you upgrade these guys at about 10g into a 10 gallon tank, then once at around 20g they can be upgraded into their final tank. So when youre at NARBC, grab a kk when you find your gecko of choice :)

Visit our friends