changing the geckos routine?

jesse.lew1s

So I recently got a gecko from a kijiji seller, and i noticed a few things that they didn't have for their gecko that I was kind of expecting.

First of all when I came in there was 3 crickets just jumping around in his cage while he was sleeping, and none of them looking as though they had been coated in any sort of calcium powder. When i asked them about this, they said that they didn't use that kind of stuff. Should I start coating crickets and meal worms in calcium or will my gecko want nothing to do with it? I might start by putting very small amounts of liquid calcium in his water dish to see if he still drinks it first.

They also don't use a heat mat or a night time lamp. While it is around 18 degrees (70 F) in my room at night, I would be much more comfortable knowing that the temperature doesn't just rely on my room at night. They also didn't have thermometers but i plan on buying two today ASAP.

Thank you for all the support on my last question!!! And if I'm doing anything wrong or asking the forum too many questions please tell me-

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You can never ask too many questions. Here's what I recommend:
The gecko really needs it to be in the low 90's on the floor of the tank, though the 70's is fine for the air.
Get either an under tank heat mat or, in my opinion, ZooMed heat cable (25'). The cable is rubberized and you can tape it under your enclosure. If you want to put it somewhere else, you just pull off the tape and move it (if you pull heat pads off the enclosure they don't work so well afterwards). The best tape is called Nashua tape. It's aluminum foil tape with a paper backing that peels off. It looks like a roll of shiny duct tape and is sold in most home improvement stores. Best price for heat cable on Ebay
You will need a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot. The Zilla thermostat is very affordable and reasonably priced on Amazon.
If you're getting thermometers make sure you get "reptile thermometer" which is a digital thermometer with a probe that usually costs $10 or less. Don't get the stick-on dial thermometers because they won't tell you anything accurate.
Supplementation: get Repashy Calcium Plus (vitamins + calcium + minerals). Dust the crickets every other feeding. Liquid calcium in the water bowl may not work so well because there's no guarantee of how much the gecko will drink. Most geckos are fine with calcium coated feeders.

Aliza

Visit our friends