Clear belly

Kaianuanu

HELP i have been trying to get my gecko to eat for a several weeks now since i moved her to a 55 gal, her tail is now wrinkly she is so skinny. I got her some waxworms to help her fatten up but she still isnt eating. The big problem though is i just noticed her belly is like swollen and her intestinal area is totally clear, its like its full of air or water help, whats wrong is this normal? I also recently mover her back to her old 10g ps she is on repti carpet so i doubt it is an impaction and she is pooping every 2 days about just like a small puddle of brown and a small pellet of yellowish whitish part.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Your gecko probably has lymphatic fluid built up in it's abdomen. Try this:

Pick your gecko up facing up with your fingers along it's spine, and your thumb on it's belly facing you. Gently but firmly press on it's abdomen with your thumb, in and downward in a massaging motion. If you do it right, it will release a stream of fluid (probably all over your shirt).

Once the fluid is out of it's belly, take a mealworm and tickle the side of the gecko's mouth, tail-end first. When the gecko opens it's mouth, push the tail of the mealworm in the gecko's mouth and let the gecko bite down on it. Let it eat it without forcing.

If the abdomen fills up again, repeat this. It usually only takes a few times (if that many) before the fluid no longer fills the abdomen and there is room for the gecko to fill it's stomach with food.

Pinky81

OMG please don't attempt to squeeze your gecko in hopes of getting some kinda lymphatic fluid out...take the little one to a vet.

I know Im not the only one thinking this..I just can't pass by without saying it.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I know how this may seem, but I've been breeding and raising geckos for over 15 years. This works. It may be the only thing that can save this little gecko. I have done this myself many times, and I would not suggest this if it didn't help.

Pinky81

Marcia I don't doubt the fact that it may work...but your and experienced breeder/keeper...you just advised a 15yo to squeeze their gecko's belly. I too am open to helping other's with their Leo's but gotta remember that many on this forum are newbies and at times minors...just think we more experience keepers should be careful how much advice to give others..other then that sounds like this..you should get your leo to the vet. IMHO :)

just don't wanna see anyone lose any pets by trying to do something most keepers should not be attempting.

eric

OREGON GECKO
I can personally say from experience that Marcia's techniques to release the fluid in the belly works! And that gecko is still alive and well! Your choice though, listen to someone who has bettered the hobby with her experiences!

Also if the 15 year old is allowed to drive with an adult they should be able to. Squeeze a gecko. Not brain surgery here!

Kaianuanu

I can personally say from experience that Marcia's techniques to release the fluid in the belly works! And that gecko is still alive and well! Your choice though, listen to someone who has bettered the hobby with her experiences!

Also if the 15 year old is allowed to drive with an adult they should be able to. Squeeze a gecko. Not brain surgery here!

And now i too can state from experience that this works! Very relived because my biggest fear was that this was all caused by parasites. It was kinda gross but the fluid was just like water not colored, stinky or sticky And after the procedure, i fed her 3 waxworms by gently pinching her snout untill she opens, then sticking the worm in. Once she got a hold, she readily devoured them. When she was not eating before and i didn't know why, she would spit anything out when using this feeding technique. She is also seeming very activeand happy now unlike before:main_thumbsup:. Im sure here digestive system is weakened by the lack of food. Should i try to feed her more naturally?

After this ordeal is overcome, ill try her back in the 55 gal.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I'm glad to hear you got the fluid out of her abdomen. Now she has room in her belly for food! Try not to spoil the gecko with hand-fed waxworms, and get her to eat some mealworms thrown down in front of her to stimulate her appetite.

UnicornSpirit

Graphic Designer
I've never heard of that procedure. Next time any of you guys have to do this could you try to videotape it? I'd be curious to see for myself. Ty! :)

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Marcia I don't doubt the fact that it may work...but your and experienced breeder/keeper...you just advised a 15yo to squeeze their gecko's belly. I too am open to helping other's with their Leo's but gotta remember that many on this forum are newbies and at times minors...just think we more experience keepers should be careful how much advice to give others..other then that sounds like this..you should get your leo to the vet. IMHO

just don't wanna see anyone lose any pets by trying to do something most keepers should not be attempting.
Melissa, I completely understand your concern, and we should not 'squeeze' our geckos to the point in breaking ribs or injuring internal organs. This simple procedure, if done properly, will release the pressure of this fluid in the gecko's abdomen. It comes out in a big stream like a little boy peeing.

I've had my share of little geckos that had this problem, and many died after paying a lot of money to a vet that had no idea what it was. I am a H-U-G-E proponent of veterinary care, and would recommend seeking vet care under most circumstances. It wasn't until my own vet (the BEST!) told me about this that I learned and therefore saved the lives of many little geckos.

This lymphatic fluid in the abdomen is most likely a result of something to do with the umbilicus detaching. Lymphatic fluid is nature's way of surrounding inflamed tissue with white blood cells to fight infection. If this fluid doesn't get absorbed back into the tissues, it becomes lymphedema. When it fills the abdomen, there is so much pressure that it is not only painful, but there is no room for the stomach to allow for food. By expressing this fluid, the pain and pressure is relieved and the gecko's appetite will be restored.

Theinfidel

I mean...it's not rocket science. If Maria has been raising leo's for 15 years she wouldn't recommend anything that's going to hurt the gecko and especially if he got this advice from his own vet.

sausage

BSc AMAS
its intresting to know this as i have had a few hatchlings die. all had swolen see through bellys. although on somthing soooo small it could do more damage than good :S

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
In most cases, it doesn't fill up again. Occasionally it does. Keep in mind that this technique is not much more pressure than rubbing a gecko's tummy, and since most of these cases are geckos less than a few weeks old, extreme care must be taken no to injure the gecko!

Visit our friends