Clear belly

Anaseb

I know this is a necro bump, but I wanted to post it as I received a few week old rescue suffering from this and it worked for me too. Oh my god I didn't know that much clear liquid could come from such a tiny little leopard, it was like someone taking a pee.

It is much like medical forms of evacuation where it is more a matter of patience than pressure, when its ready to go the leo will go with gusto. I was firm yet extremely gentle My little leo wanted it out of him badly and kept his tail up, seeming to push until we were finally done. Poor thing, and what a reintroduction to Leos since the pair I had from early childhood went at the age of 14-16 in 2010.

Also forgot, He is soo adorable. I cannot believe I didn't get more leopard geckos looking at this little thing. A little bit of Mashed cricket mixed with even less sweet potato and calcium supplements for now as I am wary of feeding him anything rough for a few days should his innards need to heal.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
It is much like medical forms of evacuation where it is more a matter of patience than pressure, when its ready to go the leo will go with gusto. I was firm yet extremely gentle.
Glad to hear you had success with this. We must remember that EXTREME care should be taken when attempting this, and it is a last resort. Geckos DO have a bladder, but it is not for urination... it is a storage tank for fluids. If this fluid is not absorbed back into the body, the bladder swells up in the abdomen to the point where the gecko will not eat because it's so full and painful. Relieving the pressure usually does the trick, but if it persists there may be a veterinary problem that needs addressed.

Anaseb

Indeed, either way it was pretty bad looking and if there was another possibility I would never have attempted it. The baby would eat tiny bits, he seemed to want to eat, but if he eat a touch to much he would throw up. Also this clear bladder was so full and his belly so protruded and firm that just the excitement of being picked up would cause him to dribble. Clearly the poor thing was suffering as he seemed to have difficulty sleeping too from the fluid. :(

Either way he is keeping his food down now and sleeps soundly, so once again I must thank you and the others here.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Interesting thread I missed here. I actually noticed one of my breeding girls that was on a really bad hunger strike did this spontaneously last month as I was stroking her belly after a liquid calcium administration. She had been holding her egg for too long, and I was starting to get really, really worried about her...I was about to get her seen at a vet if she didn't lay, she's one of my favorite girls. She did this the day after she finally let go of the *one* egg she was holding. Her hunger was back to normal the next day, I thought it was a miracle. I'm ashamed to say I had no idea what the trouble was...I thought it was related to her breeding hunger strike. I am so glad to learn about this. Thank you, Marcia and everyone else who has posted here.

Ambush Bunny

So I know this is a really old thread, but I saw someone was wanting a video on the liquid being removed from hatchlings. I came across this thread when my two had it happen. Whe recording I mis-spoke and said emphysema instead of edema ( brain was in 3 different places while re recording) I hope posting a YouTube video is ok

El Barto

Does anyone know if this is a suitable procedure for mature leopard geckos? I have a 20 year old female who seems to be going through this right now. Increasingly bloated, clear belly, not eating or pooping, very active, chirps when I pick her up, and sometimes releases fluid when handled (assuming from the pressure). I've been giving warm baths, massages, and olive oil for the past week but no luck yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg