Cloudy eyes?

ElliotG

Hello, let me give back story on this little gecko. This gecko was brought to my attention from a friend while I was at school, I heard that he wasn’t being taken care of and had problems. A teacher owns the gecko. I didn’t think it was that bad but still asked for pictures of the gecko. It was in a 5 gallon with only one hide and a big tub full of water. Looking at the actual gecko it was horrible. I didn’t think it would actually be that bad.
CE5C3EF8-6753-4B39-84D7-904484711EC2.jpeg F9365121-2BB6-4283-A757-2B41BB2F871D.jpeg
Pictures of it in its cage and the condition it was in. I went to the teacher and told him his gecko was in horrible condition and was going to die and that I was willing to take it in and get it to health and either keep it or help him with husbandry. (I’m thinking of just keeping it because it’s so bad.) He let me take it home and now it’s with me.

sorry for the long story, I just thought it would be best to explain so it’s clear that I didn’t let this gecko get into the condition it’s in. I would never let my geckos get this bad. This is horrible and it’s cage smelt like death. It made me sad to see so I decided to get it out of there.

So now for a question. It had crusty stuff over its eyes since it was too lethargic to shed. I gave it a bath and let it soak in a wet hide and finally was able to work the skin off it.
51D5A40C-30CF-4785-9CE9-2FB0FB744444.jpeg
Here’s what it looks like now.
It has very cloudy eyes now, I think the shed was stuck on it for awhile, like months. I do not know the exact time.
01DB8CEA-E341-4343-9F5A-04C32BF91C21.jpeg 3635A022-7E9B-4823-B9F2-A039BE10DBAA.jpeg
Here’s a few pics of it’s cloudy eyes. I’ve never seen this and I don’t know what to do exactly. I do want to take it to a vet soon. But I’m holding off and making sure it gets its strength back a bit before I do. I’m pretty sure it might be blind and here’s other problems with this gecko, but I’m just focused on the eyes for now. It has a lump on its back of dead skin and possibly an abscess and an injured leg. I know how to take care of those though and have all the supplies. It also hasn’t lived with heat for a year or two. It had lamps on top it’s cage but they were off. No heat pad.

It is currently in a simple 10 gallon set up with a heat mat repti carpet and warm and cold hide. I switch the warm hide out with a moist and let it soak in there for a bit in hopes of getting that lump of dead skin off. I’ve been soaking it in pedialite and warm water and feeding it a liquid diet mix with pedialite and powdered reptile food too.

Sorry for the long post. But I really want to give this guy a chance and give him a good home. I thought maybe some of you guys would be able to help.

Thanks so much.

Bliss13

What kind of teacher was this? He should be ashamed for doing this to this animal. Please do not return this gecko to him. He obviously doesn't care about its well being. I think what you are doing so far is perfect. He very well may be bling and not sure there is any reversing that. Making sure he gets heat and hydration is key right now. Vet soon after though. Poor guy.

ElliotG

What kind of teacher was this? He should be ashamed for doing this to this animal. Please do not return this gecko to him. He obviously doesn't care about its well being. I think what you are doing so far is perfect. He very well may be bling and not sure there is any reversing that. Making sure he gets heat and hydration is key right now. Vet soon after though. Poor guy.
Surprisingly he’s a biology teacher. My friend has a forensic science class with him though and that’s how it got to me.

I just got home and opened his wet hide and he was standing! I’ll be giving him another pedialite bath and some more food. Hopefully he passes something soon too.

I plan on avoiding that teacher and going into the summer with the gecko so I can keep it. Hopefully he doesn’t go out and buy another one and realizes what he did was unacceptable. He seemed pretty embarrassed when I confronted him about it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I recommend taking it to a vet on the sooner side because I think there's a chance the eyes are infected and if that infection becomes systemic, it may have a bigger impact on its health.

Aliza

ElliotG

I recommend taking it to a vet on the sooner side because I think there's a chance the eyes are infected and if that infection becomes systemic, it may have a bigger impact on its health.

Aliza
I plan on making an appointment tomorrow or Monday. As for right now I’ve been flushing it’s eyes out with saline.

ElliotG

I'm glad he was standing on his own. I wonder if he had tail rot too or if it just stuck shed.
Skin started coming off finally and revealed this...
A6256672-5BE5-434C-82FA-0E3454EFC03E.jpeg
It smelt horrible. I flushed it out and put treatment on it. There seems to be dead skin around it. I tried to clean it to my ability without pushing the gecko beyond its limits. Definitely will take it to the vet soon. Pretty bad condition it’s in.

ElliotG

Hey, how is gecko doing? Any updates?
Ah… Sadly I took it to the vet and had to put it down. Woke up one morning and it was in a puddle of its own blood. It had internal bleeding and was growing weaker. I decided to end its pain and put it down.

ElliotG

Poor guy. I am glad he is not suffering any more. Good for you for trying to help him.
Broke my heart to put him down so I decided to adopt a gecko a few weeks later and give it a good home. So now I have 3 very healthy geckos.
3C31A26A-F8E8-4936-B7BC-C1516E88F529.jpeg
here’s the baby girl I adopted. She’s 3 and her name is beans.

Visit our friends