Clownfish

fishyfan

Just a few pics of my clownfish:
femaleclown.jpg

clowns4.jpg

A few of their babies! unfortunately they didnt survive...

clown06.jpg

clown01.jpg

clown1-2.jpg

clowns3.jpg

clowns1.jpg

cwazy

Cwazy Gecko Man!
just out of curiosity... i dunno much about the breeding of the clowns other than it takes alot of effort, but from what i read up on them, its the most difficult to get them to hatch safely and grow.... i see your babies grew alot! so i was just curious why you feel they didnt survive?

fishyfan

just out of curiosity... i dunno much about the breeding of the clowns other than it takes alot of effort, but from what i read up on them, its the most difficult to get them to hatch safely and grow.... i see your babies grew alot! so i was just curious why you feel they didnt survive?

Im not sure actually, one by one they would stress out (sitting at the bottom, breathing hard) and die. Usually it was only one that would die at a time, the others would be fine. I thought it may have been from aggression so i seperated the smaller ones but that didnt seem to stop the deaths. It may have something to do with the amquel i used to keep the ammonia/nitrite down before they went through metamorphasis, i think it may have stunted them because they should have been bigger than that.

cwazy

Cwazy Gecko Man!
its cool you got to see the babies... its very VERY rare the eggs will survive with out special care...

fishyfan

the eggs are the easy part

you have to raise special microscopic organisms called rotifers because the larvae are so small and the rotifers have to be kept at a certain density in the growout tank or the larvae will not get enough to eat. the larvae are very sensitive to light so the sides of the growout tank ahve to be covered in black paper or the larvae will not be able to hunt properly. you have to do daily water changes because the larvae are very small and weak and cant handle a filter. Once you get them past the first 10-15 days, they are a bit easier to care for though.Very time consuming, i might try again in the summer when i have time off...

P

Pepper

That sounds like so much work, but so fascinating.

I can't imagine the dedication that must take!

Visit our friends