computers

Strip down a dell to nothing reload windows and put the things you want on it. And it should run fine.

Not saying you did this but many people buy a PC thinking it can do the world but it can not. They buy the 899.99 model and think man this is a beast. They go home and push it to hard.

Others open up so many IM programs and are listening to a CD while watching that new video clip their friend sent them and wonder why it is slow. Or the never defrag the PC. Or they never run a spyware program. How about viruses.

I have a OC that has 60MB of ram and only a 6GB hard drive. runs like new.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Gary Orner said:
Others open up so many IM programs and are listening to a CD while watching that new video clip their friend sent them and wonder why it is slow. Or the never defrag the PC. Or they never run a spyware program. How about viruses.

So True, I have all of the above on mine. I have the virus program (Symantic) set to run once a week, Spyware I have doesn't have scheduling so I run it myself once a week or once every 2 weeks. I check the defrag and run windows check when I remember too, like once every 3 months'ish

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
Well for the cpu ram balance, its better for it to equal out. I know not many here are all that computer savvy but I'll try and explain. There is a difference between AMD and Intel. If you have 2 processors, one Intel, one AMD Athlon, both running at lets say 2.6 Ghz, the AMD will be alot faster. For RAM I think an intel running at 3.0 as seems to be the norm for the big producers like dell or gateway, 512-1024MB is fine. An AMD at 2.2-2.4Ghz would do fine with the same. I have an AMD that is factory set at 2.4, but I cranked it up to run at 2.7648 Ghz. Yes, you can infact increase the speed of your processor. Its not a good idea if you dont know what your doing though. I have 2GB of RAM and although I most certaintly dont need it, it is useful because my internet just blows and it helps balance it out when I'm playing online.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.2ghz extreme edition
320GB HD with only 3GB free
2GB memory
Dual DVD-RW drives
some kind of 256MB video card
20" flat panel widescreen

Next year I'm switching to Mac though...

You are limited to your connection when you talk online. Why you ask? Take one of my servers. I will bottle neck a 10MBit port before I will a 100MBit port.

Now before I upgrade a CPU I will add ram but then many times people think they need it our it helps when it actually does nothing. Usually it is a program issue. Like trying to add or play something on a machine that is not made to play or run on the said machine..........

AMD s light years ahead of Intel IMHO.......and for many many reasons. Also for the people running windows. If you learn a OS like Fedora, Red Hat(more for servers) Mandrake...... CentOS you will see that they are not great gaming OS but they will give you so much more when it comes to speed. And up time is second to none.

Macs are good but like Linux.....Mac is Unix thare is not much out there for it. YOu will see a program online you want but it will not support Mac.

Strip down any machine to the bare minimum ad it will fly. Put tons of things on it and have them all running and it will slow to a hault.

Here is another thing people mess up on when they have DSL.........They use their USB port this limits you BIG TIME. Do not use USB 1.5 is nothing when you are paying for 3.0 Down speed.

I love talking PCs. Watch AMD gys there will be something coming out that will plaw away the PC people.

Also we all know Compaq and HP are the same. But they will be releasing something soon on the server side that may lift an eyebrow or two.

S

silentjohn

3.2 ghz
250 gig HD
2gig Ram (upgradable to 4)
256 meg PCI-enhanced video card
dual layer DVD burner
19" flat panel
generic case with no mods.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Gary Orner said:
Here is another thing people mess up on when they have DSL.........They use their USB port this limits you BIG TIME. Do not use USB 1.5 is nothing when you are paying for 3.0 Down speed.

So should I switch it to a wireless card? :main_huh:

I have 4 PC on Windows and then one that has Samba which is my network PC that combines Redhat and Windows.

I like windows but It is not the best out there. To much involved in it for the everyday user.

I have ABC Warehouse wanting me to build them thir PCs and program them........ I told them to make me an offer and I would even train their employees.

Last edited:
Go wireless if you are just surfing and want to surf anywhere in the house or at Burger king lol.

But for a besk top I would not go wireless.

D

dakman

My newest is a HP Pavilion
3.8 mhz AMD 64 Athlon X2 duel processor
250 gb hd
2 gb ram
All in all a very nice machine compared to anything I've owned before, specally my back up Gateway.

Visit our friends