Concerned for lethargic hatchling

equinelove93

Hello everybody.

This has been my very first time breeding leos and I've had very nice results with the hatchlings. So bare with me as I'm still fairly new to this but had done extensive research prior to breeding.

Yesterday my last egg had hatched early morning. All my other babies hatched very large, healthy and active. They hatched around 59 days at 83 degrees.

The baby that has hatched yesterday I'm concerned for. Immediately I noticed How tiny it was. Almost half the size of the others but this egg did hatch earlier at 54 days in 83 degrees. This baby is very weak and lethargic. I figured she was recovering from hatching and that allowing her to rest up in a small cozy terrarium set up by herself.

Unlike the healthy babies she had not screamed at me or moved when she was transfer from the incubator to the terrarium. She also had no intrest in her surroundings or took intrest in any of the multiple small hides. She took a few wobbly steps and has been sleeping out in the open in the tank and hasn't moved much. If I look at the tank she doesn't appear to make an effort to hide as all previous babies did.

Her set up is a small 5 gallon tank with 4 small hides. On paper towel. one warm, one most , one medium and one cool hide. Small water dish. 90 on the warm, 85 in the middle and 80 on the cool. UTH.

Is this a fairly common thing for some hatchlings? Is there anything extra I could do to help her out. Or what could possibly have caused this? Improper development in the egg? Hatchling too early etc. also has anyone had a similar hatchling that pulled through or got better?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some of them just don't get the right nutrition in the egg maybe because of something in the gecko that we can't see. I've had this happen occasionally. I had one hatch very tiny at about the right time and I really tried with it. It got more active but didn't make it. The best you can do is to keep it hydrated by misting frequently (not something I'd do with an older juvenile or an adult, but in this case it makes sense), try to put a drop of water on its nose and see if it will lick it, keep it warm and see what happens. They don't all make it, but it's worth a try.

Aliza

Visit our friends