Considering picking up some of these guys!

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Recently at work we imported some hainanensis and I was reading some material on them and I kinda got hooked. I am setting up "mega rack" this weekend, meaning I will have a rack to devote to these guys. I was considering picking up 1.4. My set-up would be simple. 6qt tub, damp peat moss bedding, water dish, hidebox in the back filled with a 1:1 ratio of Vermiculite and Peat moss. Thermostat set at 85F and dropping into the mid to low 70s at night. Misting daily, dusted crickets. I am hoping to breed them so I have babies in the summer after AFTs hatch. I would of course invest in an incubator for them as well. Does my set up sound right? Also what are the most desirable color phases or morphs on these guys? Locals?

Dragonslare

Dragonslare.com
Hey, I use a 40 gal breeder tank for my breeding pod, which is 1 male-4 females,
for substrate I use a thin layer of play sand (from HomeDepot), they key to them being happy is Hides!!plenty of flat pieces of rocks and I go one step further and place viney leaves over the top of these, so when they peek out of the rocks, there's broken cover still over them, as far as your temps, 85 is to warm, 80 is much better. mist them down real good in the evening, when they come out at night they go straight for the nesting box and enjoy sprawling out in the damp sand, (my nesting box is a tupperware container with 50% playsand,25% vermiculite, 25% shredded coconut,kept damp at all times,keep it covered with a opening cut into the side).

For the most part, there breeding season is winding down now, mating usually takes place in Jan/Feb., so far my girls have givin me 18 eggs, but 5 where infertile, this seams to be common with Cave's, and they don't lay as many eggs as other Gecko's, six eggs(three clutches is about it,per year) and it's not uncommom to get single eggs.

...as far as morph's?? not with these, at least not yet, very few are working with these, Ive had my group for about 1 1/2 years now, there are very limited numbers being imported in the U.S., just keeping a pod happy and healthy and getting them to breed and laying fertile eggs and then incubating the eggs, successfully , is the main goal.

Joe M.

Last edited:

Visit our friends