containers for hatchlings

staceyleigh

Ok trying to decide on size for hatch-ling tubs. My thoughts are either 6 qt. for 1 single hatchling, or 16 qt. for 2. My biggest question is can 2 hatchlings be put in together- or is this asking for trouble? I currently have a supply of the 16 qt., so I thought that would be an easier option- but safety comes first so I want opinions form other breeders who have done this.

OnlineGeckos

Safer to house them alone, as hatchlings can be skittish and weird. They sometimes mistaken another hatchling's tail as food, so you'll likely get bite marks, nips, and maybe dropped tail when housing multiple hatchlings together. Some do house the same clutchmates together, but they require close observation and need to be separated if any aggression is observed. To be safe, housing them alone in a 6qt is the best choice in my opinion.

tb144050

Good question. Ive thought about asking but havent researched bc i still have several months before my girls even weigh enough :(

stager

Safer to house them alone, as hatchlings can be skittish and weird. They sometimes mistaken another hatchling's tail as food, so you'll likely get bite marks, nips, and maybe dropped tail when housing multiple hatchlings together. Some do house the same clutchmates together, but they require close observation and need to be separated if any aggression is observed. To be safe, housing them alone in a 6qt is the best choice in my opinion.
+1 it is also easier to monitor food intake of each hatchling when housed alone.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I walk the line between space and safety. I do generally house my hatchlings in clutchmate pairs. I mix and match as they grow for size and house any hatchling that has any kind of health issues alone. Most of my hatchling spaces are front-opening enclosures the size of a 20 gallon long which I divide into 3 sections and put a pair in each section. As they grow, I remove the dividers so while there are more geckos, they have more space as well. I have an overflow rack with 6qt tubs where I keep newly hatched pairs. As they grow, I go down to 1 per tub and hope that I sell enough at end of summer shows so I can get all my leos out of the racks. I have never had any problem with clutchmates nipping each other's tails, though once an older hatchling got through the divider and took off tails from a newly hatched pair.

Aliza

staceyleigh

Thanks everyone! I tend to be a worrier- so for safety and my piece of mind I will go with singles in the 6 qts! I only have 3 females this season- so space shouldn't be that bad.

Visit our friends