Cremating your Gecko

Spots

Is it odd to cremate your leopard geckos?

Spots is getting cremated today but I'm having second thoughts. I like the idea that I can bring her with me when I move (I move out next year) but I don't like the fact that she will be burned to ashes. I like the idea of burying her cause she looked so peaceful in her "coffin" but I don't like the idea that bacteria and stuff will eat her away...

help :(

how many people have/would cremate their geckos? or is it too extreme?

goReptiles

I cremated one of my chinchillas, and attempted the other but the vet didn't comply with my wishes.

I would not create a gecko though.

Bacteria decomposing the body is natural, and it is the natural way that a person or animal gives back to the earth that it used while living

Unfortunately with all the chemicals put into human corpses, we don't do any good, and with the treated wood and metal coffins we are never able to truly give back.

You will always have your pet with you in memory.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Spots

Why would you cremate a chinchilla but not a gecko?

I'm finishing my last year of university this year and so I do not know where I will be living next year (whereever the job takes me) so I'm afraid that if I bury her at the pet cemetary, I won't be here aways to see her if I wanted to.

And I know that's the natural process...but it just creeps me out.

JordanAng420

I had Nefertiti creamated. I brought her to work with me and put her in the freezer. A company comes out and takes all the bodies in the freezer and creamates them, either together, or separately, if the owner wishes. The ashes from the animals that are not burned separately are usually spread over the pet cemetary.

The reason I didn't bury her is because I have a lot of feral cats around my neighborhood. I couldn't stand the thought of something digging her up and eating her. :(

Spots

Well...I brought Spots to the cremation place today. It was nice. I bought a tiny urn to put her ashes in :) it's so tiny that I might put it in the cage with the new gecko. I also asked them to cremate her with her moss as it was one of her favourite things. (she used to bury her head in it and play around with it) :)

The lady said some people bring in mice and birds alot...so I'm not that crazy :) lol

jemjdragon

My old history teacher's kids mummified their bird when it died and made a small pyramid in their yard. I thought it was a little weird when I heard this and when my teacher told the story she said she wonders how the new owners of the house reacted.

When Ryoo died, I buried her. But as a memory I painted a large rock with her picture.

rubym

My poor Khayman isnt getting around as well anymore. When he passes away we already planned to have him cremated then when his cage mate Makkare passes we will have her put in the same tiny urn. These 2 were my first rescues and they are 16 and 17 years old now. They have a special place in my heart and Id hate to bury them here and someday us move away.

Jade Icing

I am having mine done when they pass. I have had all my pets done so far. 3 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits. Now my vipers... They won't be that big so no idea about them.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
We had our beardie cremated when she died last January. She was a precious girl that brought alot of joy to our lives. We move around alot, so burying her was not an option. There was no way we could leave our Dharma.
We purchased 4 pendants that look like teardrops and had some of her ashes put into each one. The remainder of her ashes are in a teak box with her name on it. Inside is some of the millions of pictures we took of her with a small bag containing the rest of her cremains.

Grieving takes time and we all do it in different ways. Do what seems right for you.

I know.... Have I won the "Now THATS just creepy!" award yet? :D

NCleopardgeckos

I wouldn't have any animal cremated...
I agree that we should bury them so they can give back to the earth, plus I really wouldn't like the thought of someone burning their body, and having their ashes in my house. Or having them eaten by bugs and rotting >.<
No good way to think about death IMO.

Visit our friends