Crested Gecko 1st Timer...

TripleB

My 14 year old son is currently narrowing down his choices for his first pet. After seeing a couple crested geckos yesterday and reading a ton about them, I'm thinking if he doesn't choose a crested gecko I think I will ;)

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching of videos, but I still have several questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

1) Most of the information I've found said you need a 18x18x24 size enclosure for a crested gecko. But this "complete gecko kit" (https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...-optional.html ) contains a 12x12x18 enclosure...is this large enough for an adult crested gecko?

2) What is the best substrate for easy cleaning, to help keep the humidity where it is supposed to be, and the crested gecko will appreciate?

3) What are some of your favorite additions to your tank? How do you know when you've made your cage too crowded?

4) What do you consider essential additions to have in my tank? What individual tank have you found to work with crested geckos the best?

5) I know the crested gecko gets it water from the leaves/tank after spraying, but do you also leave a water bowl in your tank as well? Does something like this work well: https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/pangea-suction-cup-gecko-ledge.html

6) Is there any other advice you feel is beneficial for my family to know concerning crested geckos?

Thank you very much for your help!

TripleB

Onelifegecs

Everything in that kit is really good quality which is rare for the various kits but you will have to upgrade the tank to a 20 gal tall when they become an adult as this is the new recommended size this kit is perfect for hatchlings tho

they are rarely on the ground so ur gecko isn’t gonna care what substrate you use and there is little risk of impaction I use forest floor for my crestie though there are mixed reviews of this. Eco earth and paper towel are probs the most recommended. As a tip substrate is cheaper at Lowe’s and such just make sure it is organic. Organic potting soil works well

as long as your gecko has plenty of moving space the reptile will enjoy as much coverage as possible. A cheap way to do this is not buying reptile specific foliage go to different dollar stores. The vines that everyone is decorating their walls with right now is what I’m using as a great portion of my tanks we got like 20 ft of it for 7 dollars just make sure to rinse any plants before putting them in the tank. Also the suction cup feeder trays tend to have a sticking problem after a while. Good quality magnetic ones will probably be necessary as the gecko gets larger

Just plenty of foliage and branches. Jungle vines are a nice addition too. Just make sure there is plenty of hiding spaces

Cresties are jumpy especially as hatchling don’t panic and keep a hand out in front of the direction you’re facing this info helps a lot. Feeding crickets once a week will help the gecko grow faster. Have fun and consider looking into exotic vets in your area just in case. Never stop researching and taking in advice as things are constantly changing

TripleB

Thanks for the help.

A local pet store has a good looking crested gecko that has an orange (my favorite color) tint to it. I couldn't see all of it's tail but it seems to be about 3 and a half inches long (including tail). If I were to get something this size, would a 12x12x18 (or 20) terrarium be large enough to start it out in?

If so, how long would it be able to stay in it before I'd have to move it to an 18x18x24?

I appreciate the info!

TripleB

Onelifegecs

Thanks for the help.

A local pet store has a good looking crested gecko that has an orange (my favorite color) tint to it. I couldn't see all of it's tail but it seems to be about 3 and a half inches long (including tail). If I were to get something this size, would a 12x12x18 (or 20) terrarium be large enough to start it out in?

If so, how long would it be able to stay in it before I'd have to move it to an 18x18x24?

I appreciate the info!

TripleB
In my opinion that’s a good starter tank and they grow rather slow so it should last a decent amount of time.

Visit our friends